Suitable Rear Shock for a Heavyweight!

steelo
steelo Posts: 542
edited January 2008 in MTB buying advice
What rear shock should I aim for when looking at buying a first full suspension bike?

I'm around 16.5stone and i'm currently looking at a few different f/s bikes, stumpjumper fsr, yeti 575, cotic hemlock, something suited to heavy duty trail riding.

But they all come with a wide range of different rear shocks, float, rp23, fsr brain etc.

Any other riders out there of around the same weight riding a full susser, if so, what rear shock do you use?
Specialized Rockhopper '07
Trek Fuel EX8 '09

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    does not matter. as long as you get the correct spring for the bike design or set the Air up correctly on an air shock.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    Fair enough.

I'm still confused by the range of shocks available though.

My next question is;

Which rear shock would you recommend for a mid-travel, cross-country/trail bike?
    (No big jumps, no downhill)

Would you stick with an air shock, an external spring shock, with pro-pedal, specialized brain?!?

Help!
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    whatever comes on the bike designed for mid-travel, cross-country/trail bike.

IE any.

do not worry about it the bike will be correctly speced.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown