Best saddle for a fatty

Kafka\'s Doll
Kafka\'s Doll Posts: 208
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
Hello,

I tried this in the commuting forum to little response, so thought I'd give it a go here.

I'm cycling 30 miles a day on the saddle that came with my Condor Fratello. It is a right pain in the perineum. I'm sure it's a decent saddle, but I imagine it wasn't designed to carry my fat arse. So is there anything that might be a bit more forgiving? Are those ones with the groove cut worth considering?

I'm happy to pay a decent whack for the right saddle -- I do understand that I shouldn't just choose the one with the most padding. The mag seems to recommend the Fizik Gobi, but the reviews (at least online) don't make it very clear whether a saddle is for road or mountain. I'm road all the way.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    Depends what the exact nature of the problem is. My partner uses a saddle with a cut out hole to alleviate saddle pressure on the perennial nerve. He uses a Selle Italia brand saddle on all his bikes. I don't know which model it is but it has cut out hole in the centre. If you are numb or have pain underneath, then that's the type to go for. Something like these:
    http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/p ... LR_GF.html

If the saddle is rubbing your inner thigh/groin area it is likely that it is actually too wide. You could try a saddle that is narrower all over, (but check your sit bones are still on it!) or one that is a different shape and narrows more quickly from the rear to the mid section where it will rub if it is too wide. General saddle advice is always that firmer is better (oo-er! :lol: )

BTW - the Fizik Gobi is the MTB version of the Fizik Arione road saddle. There is nothing wrong with using it on a road bike, if it is comfortable for you, but MTB saddler are usually quite padded/less firm compared to road saddles - so if you already have issues with padding restricting your pedalling or rubbing/chafing it may not be the best choice.

Note: Position on the bike can also make a big difference. The greater the reach down to handle bar, the more pressure will be on the front of the saddle. Level bars with saddle put more of your body weight on the back of the saddle.
  • The perennial nerve, that'd be it. Very sore. Thanks for the link.
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Brooks B17 is quite wide. I like mine a lot. It took about a week to start breaking in, and is now pretty nice :)
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    After smoking a fatty, I'm not too fussed about what saddle I use. Baddum 'tish. :oops:
  • If you are happy to spend 80 squids on a saddle, I can personally vouch for the Specialized Toupe Gel. I bought one for my Felt last summer when the original saddle went to bike heaven. It was highly rated on here, so I took the plunge and have not looked back. Despite comments from work colleagues, I can say it is the most comfortable saddle I have ever owned! I'm no skin and bone frame either...

At the other end of the scale, Planet-X saddles are apparently comfy. Their site also has an offer on a Prologo saddle (Choice), which looks quite unique with the etching on the nose. http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • I just picked up a specialized Toupe Team today reduced from £89.99 to £34.99 not really relevant to your needs probably as it doesn,t look that comfy but I will let you know,what a bargain though :D
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I just picked up a specialized Toupe Team today reduced from £89.99 to £34.99 not really relevant to your needs probably as it doesn,t look that comfy but I will let you know,what a bargain though :D

Where'd you get that from?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Grafham Water Cycles or Rutland Cycles,just fiited it and its a thing of loveliness.
    They also have the toupe gel for £34.00
  • "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    Thanks for the link - at that price, it's worth a punt (I'll measure the dents in my saddle when I get home!).
  • Did my 15mile lunchtime training route on the new saddle with no adverse affect and founf it much more comforrtable than the saddle that came with the bike as it is a lot narrower.
    Knocked 1min30 off my best time as well so can't be bad
  • pjh
    pjh Posts: 204
    edited January 2008
    Fizik Arione .... comfy as .... :D (only needs 4/5 rides to break it in).

Nice and long too so you can move around a bit if you get a bit sore in one spot.

and many of the top pro's ride it which must say something :wink:

It's great to be .....
  • kmahony
    kmahony Posts: 380
    I searched for ages to get the right saddle. Finally very happy with the Selle Italia Signo (Special Ltd Edition Version - the normal one was not so good).

It doesn't have the cut out, but seems to work much better than ones with.

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;p ... 49b3fd44c1
  • redddraggon
    pjh wrote:
    and many of the top pro's ride it which must say something :wink:

It says that they get paid to ride it.

Ariones are not known for comfort for a "larger" rider.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • redddraggon
    I like the Selle Italia Flites, I'm a bit disappointed I went for the Arione over the Flite.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    I just picked up a specialized Toupe Team today
    thats the one i have but the 143 mm wide [i think]

comfy as my sofa!

2727-1060.jpg
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    I've owned a few Specialized Body Geometry (BG) saddles including the Alias , Toupe and the Phenom and they have been excellent. They even have different sizes. I'm no expert but if its still comfy after 120 miles it gets my vote.