Carrera ... Kona???

Douche
Douche Posts: 134
edited January 2008 in MTB general
Someone mentioned to me yesterday that Carreras are made in the same factory as Konas ... is this true?? they alo noted that the Carrera Banshee was basically the same frame design as an old dual sus Kona (cant remember which model offhand) and that they suspect Carrera of purchasing old kona frame designs ... is any of this true or was he just talking out of his royal sphincter??
I found it hard, its was hard to find, oh well whatever nevermind.

Boardman Mountain Pro
185 G3 CleanSweep Front
Cane Creek Grips/Ergo Ends

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    IIRC they are all made in the same factory to the same designs, carrera's are pretty much cheap Kona's
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    I don't know if it is true, but tbh, i wouldn't be surprised :roll:

Just like Giant make most of the top american bikes...in Taiwan
  • Douche
    [quote="ride_whenever" carrera's are pretty much cheap Kona's[/quote]

..Or maybe its rather that Carreras are Konas that arent under specced over priced???

Boardman Mountain Pro
    185 G3 CleanSweep Front
  • dave_s
    dave_s Posts: 4,362
    Bit of a sweeping statement to say that all Konas are under specced and over priced, you can get some great deals on Konas with very decent specs.

Carrera aren't rebadged cheaper versions of Konas but there are some good Carreras nowadays. I had one once and it was terrible offroad but they've got a decent rep now especially models like the Carrera Fury.
    Dave S
  • Douche
    I feel bitter cos i bought a Kona and within days realised i could of got alot more with the same amount of money ... teach me for not properly shopping around first i suppose, and as for the quality of Carreras, my missus now has one so she can be the judge of that.

Boardman Mountain Pro
    185 G3 CleanSweep Front
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Aren't konas like the carrera of canada? Or am i just making things up now?
  • Douche
    ..not that she knows what is and what isnt a good bike ... its got two wheels, pedals, a seat, and handlebars and thats her major shopping points!!!

Boardman Mountain Pro
    185 G3 CleanSweep Front
  • kegs
    kegs Posts: 204
    Only if Carrera were once a brand with revolutionary designs, spoken of in hushed tones for their legendary ride and handling qualities. ;)

Kona still, IMO, make some very very nice frames, but some of the kit that they put on the complete bikes seems a bit low rent for the price asking price, the frame is pretty much the most fundamental part in determining how the bike rides, but still...
  • kegs wrote:
    Only if Carrera were once a brand with revolutionary designs, spoken of in hushed tones for their legendary ride and handling qualities. ;)

Kona still, IMO, make some very very nice frames, but some of the kit that they put on the complete bikes seems a bit low rent for the price asking price, the frame is pretty much the most fundamental part in determining how the bike rides, but still...

That's the trouble with Kona...great frames imo, but the specs are shite...unless your buying top spec de-lux's 2k upwards. :shock:

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1695431/
  • clas
    clas Posts: 187
    I own a Kona

I agree. the forks on my Dawg are not crap but they aint that good either and will be the second thing I replace. the first are the Hayes Sole brakes which are so desperately bad its almost funny! they restrict your speed because you dare not go too fast because you know you will never get the speed down enough for the upcoming corner. a set of avid juicy threes are marked down for it when I can afford it! the frame though is a really nice ride. so yes really quality frame and kak spec. it serves me right but i have always wanted a Kona (for about fifteen years) and it was my money so what the hell!
    I never touched it! It was broke when I got here.
  • Depends on what your useing the sole brakes for...got them on mine, can't complain really, but i'm only useing them for X/C. :shock:

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1695431/
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Carrera used to be made by Merida. Giant make frames for a lot of the big companies...

The Banshee is similar to the old Coiler, but it has a Horst link rather than a seatstay pivot. The Kraken and Fury are very good frames, the Fury being fully double butted.
  • Douche
    clas wrote:
    I own a Kona

I agree. the forks on my Dawg are not crap but they aint that good either and will be the second thing I replace. the first are the Hayes Sole brakes which are so desperately bad its almost funny! they restrict your speed because you dare not go too fast because you know you will never get the speed down enough for the upcoming corner. a set of avid juicy threes are marked down for it when I can afford it! the frame though is a really nice ride. so yes really quality frame and kak spec. it serves me right but i have always wanted a Kona (for about fifteen years) and it was my money so what the hell!

Exactly my problem, for some obscure reason kona have been a desired make for youngsters for years, i spent a good few years after one and i finally got it, only to to realise that the frame is awesome but everything else needs to be uprated, thing is if you want a Kona buy the frame and then custom build, it costs more but why buy a Kona when the next thing your gonna do is uprate. i bought mine and within days (probably hours, and much to the constenation of my girlfreind) i was planning my upgrades, which was everything other than the frame!!!!

Boardman Mountain Pro
    185 G3 CleanSweep Front
  • yeah i bought one too it was the only make i'd heard of when i bought my bike and it does have quite a nice frame but the forks that came on it :shock:... replaced them within 2 months
    06 Kona Blast with RS Tora solo airs :)
  • The fury is pretty much the same design as the CBoardman Frames too when you put them along side eachother.

Owning a Kona and a Boardman i have the best of both. on has a wicked frame but let down by the stuff bolted to it, where as the other has a okay frame but the stuff bolted on to it is pucker.

With Kona your paying for the frame as they are so good.
    ....DaZeD aNd CoNfUsEd....
  • sam1234
    sam1234 Posts: 97
    I've got a kona hoss which I love the way it rides, however one or two bits have been upgraded. I've also just picked up an 2nd kona dawg frame at a good price in an excellent codition. The reason for getting the frame, is I should be able to build up it for about the same cost a mid range dawg but with better componets etc.
  • sam1234 wrote:
    I've got a kona hoss which I love the way it rides, however one or two bits have been upgraded. I've also just picked up an 2nd kona dawg frame at a good price in an excellent codition. The reason for getting the frame, is I should be able to build up it for about the same cost a mid range dawg but with better componets etc.

Off topic i know, but how do you find the Hoss Frame, i'm looking at changing my frame over, its either the Caldera or the Hoss, other than price and weight i'm not sure of the difference?
  • if carrera and kona are the same company WHY DOES THE CARERA TEAM USE INTENSE BIKES surley they would have a carera version of the stab
    stephen hall
  • drewcole81 wrote:
    sam1234 wrote:

Off topic i know, but how do you find the Hoss Frame, i'm looking at changing my frame over, its either the Caldera or the Hoss, other than price and weight i'm not sure of the difference?

Depends what year frame your looking at...the hoss is 7005 ali...caldera is just butted.

http://gottahurt.pinkbike.com/album/Kona-McRea/
  • They are both 2007 frames, the Hoss is about £100 cheaper. i'm not really sure what the 7005 means.
  • Douche
    youve got 7005 and 6061 aluminum tubing, the differences revolve around 7005 bing an aluminum/zinc tubeset and 6061 is an aluminium/magnesium tubeset. 6061 is lighter....or for that matter you've also got X-100 aluminium which is even lighter and stronger but i cant remember the composition of it

Boardman Mountain Pro
    185 G3 CleanSweep Front
  • the grade of ali they use...the 7005 is aircraft spec, light but very strong, the caldera is proberly 6061 ali... still good though! :D

• Douche
    i may of got 6061 and 7005 confused ... someone help!!!

Boardman Mountain Pro
    185 G3 CleanSweep Front
  • Douche wrote:
    i may of got 6061 and 7005 confused ... someone help!!!

Got me thinking now! :lol:

• I'm thinking too..... not sure what about though......
  • Douche
    I think it may deserve a posting all of its own

Boardman Mountain Pro
    185 G3 CleanSweep Front
  • http://www.evanscycles.com/dept.jsp?dept_id=2601

The Hoss is 7005. follow the link it tells you on the item.
  • Douche

Boardman Mountain Pro
    185 G3 CleanSweep Front
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    So, back on topic, are you all riding Carronas or not? I'm confused now
    :lol:
    http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/carro%C3%B1a
  • Douche
    ...ha ... ive about as much clue as i did before, am i riding a Corrona??? is my missus riding korrera??? .... could be ... could be

Boardman Mountain Pro
    185 G3 CleanSweep Front