Campagnolo Centaur Screw on hub

GaryGkn
GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
edited January 2008 in Workshop
Hi I have a set of Campagnolo Centaur ATB hubs (circa 1989). The ATB reference means they are spaced to 130 and not 126.5. this is good as they fit in my Dawes Galaxy. I have a set of Centaur 10 speed Ergo levers which I wish to use with an * speed Shimano block. I have read the Shmergo articles at the CTC and this should work ok.

My question is can I screw on an 8 speed Shimano block on to my Campagnolo screw on hubs which are spaced at 130mm?

Can anyone please help?

Very much appreciated Gary

Comments

• GaryGkn
    Sorry replace the * with an 8. I made a typo.
  • tatanab
    tatanab Posts: 1,283
    Sprocket spacing implies that a Shimano is slightly smaller. Campag 8 speed spacing is 5mm, Shimano is 4.8mm.

So the overall length of the Shimano block should be less than a Campag one. It will fit.

If for some odd reason the block is too long then simply move some of the axle spacers around, it will change the dishing a little though.

I suspect that the only trouble you will have is in the Campag hub rejecting the tissue of the Shimano block :D
  • GaryGkn
    tatanab that is music to my ears.

Campag 10 speed levers pull at 4.8 and were matched successfully with Shimano 8 speed spacing.

Are there 8 speed block available that have Shimano spacing and will work with a Campag hub but are not actually made by Shimano. Regina? Not sure as usually just involved with fixed gear so life is a lot simpler that end of the world.
  • tatanab
    tatanab Posts: 1,283
    St John Street Cycles list some index compatible Regina 8 speed blocks, and some non indexed. What the spacing is I do not know. Are you prepared to take the risk?

I used to use Sachs (Maillard) blocks, now virtually unobtainable, which worked fine with Campag 5mm spacing - I still use Campag 8 speed Ergo on my touring bike.

Nice hubs by the way. I had some Euclid hubs, so younger than yours by only a couple of years and 135mm. I Intended to build them into touring wheels, but they sat in my box of bits for 8 years unused so I sold them on ebay and took that big step to using cassette hubs..
  • GaryGkn
    I wouldn't risk it. I would check the spacing with them.

I bought these on ebay £10.50 + £5 postage and packing. The guy had spelt Campagnolo wrong and the picture was out of focus. Also the Centaur ATB tag didn't help as most people would perhaps be unaware of Campags dip into ATB.

I think the hubs look nicer than the current ones.
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    There are a few Taiwanese 8 speed freewheels too (SR Suntour, Sunrace).
    But Shimano freewheels are very good! If the Regina freewheels are non-index, they probably want 5.0m, not 4.8. Shimano 7 speed is 5.0, and would put less strain on the axle.
  • GaryGkn
    5.0 I don't think this would work with my Ergo levers? 4.8 does work. Do you think 5.0 would work?