8spd & 9spd hubs

Tiger6791
Tiger6791 Posts: 15
edited January 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a pair of Mavic Crossride wheels with a Shimano 8spd cassette on will this take a Shimano 9spd??

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes as they are the same width. New shifter and new chain needed. (minimum).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    I need some clarification here.
    When 9 speed kit was first introduced, the general opinion (even in WMB) was that crank and front and rear mechs were specific to either 8 or 9 speed setups. This now deos not appear to be the case with opinion (or fact?) that with these parts 8 and 9 speed are interchangeable? I understand that shifters, cassette and chain are specific.
    I personnaly have stuck to keeping everything 9 speed on my P7 but I'm now putting together a rat bike for commuting from odds and sods parts (Truvativ ISOFLOW and 8 speed Deore and 9 speed shifters and mechs).
    Am I being a tart in trying to match everything either 8 or 9 speed or just suck it and see?
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • nicklouse
    basically you will be luckky to find any 8 spd cranks sets or mechs as most bike makers use the 9spd ones with 8spd cassettes and shifters. yes the 9 spd chain is narrower but low end 8 spd set ups who will notice.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    I am running a bike with 8sp cassette, 9sp shifters and mech! Its Sram, and just about possible to set it up with no slipping!
  • nicklouse
    mattv wrote:
    I am running a bike with 8sp cassette, 9sp shifters and mech! Its Sram, and just about possible to set it up with no slipping!

well you are a magician as the distance the 9spd shifters move the rear mech is different to the spacing on the cassette so you will be having lots of gears that cause the chain to rub excessively on the cassette causing early wear of both the cassette and the chain which in turn will cause the front chain rings to wear faster than normal.

Change your cassette of your shifters.
  • mattv
    I have a dead gear on the index, but somehow it all seems to work ok, even in the work stand??? Its a road cassette, so I had put it down to slimmer gears or something, and I dont run that set of wheels often.
  • nicklouse
    road cassettes are the same spacing. the width of a 9 spd and 8spd cassette are the same. As you say you dont use it offten i say you have forgotten how bad it is.
  • mattv
    Possibly, I meant the difference in sizing between each ratio is very similar, so there isnt as much to rub- the chain doesnt "see" as much of the sprocket as it would if there was a more pronounced difference between ratios. Hard to explain, so I am waffling now. More than likely, my battered old X-7 had so much play in it.............
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The 9spd shifter will undershift 8/9 per shift. This 12% or so will be noticable!
  • mattv
    Thats the heory, yes. But somehow, with my setup it kinda worked. None of the guys at work can undertsand quite either but it does. I have a new mech now, with less play in it, so I dont know if that will make any difference.