Darn cycle computers, anyone have any ideas

Roger Davies
Roger Davies Posts: 305
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
I just installed the Delphi 3. It doesnt work. I've checked the installation, the position of the sensors and the magnets and configured in the wheel size and other settings. Spin the wheel - nothing. Anyone know how to trouble shoot these things? Thanks.
Old bikes are better

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    ive got a delphi 4 and it worked straight out the box...

have you tried changing the batteries?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Have you pulled the thin clear plastic cover off the battery?
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    The most obvious things to check:

Is the magnet passing close enough to the receiver (under 3mm)? Sometimes I need to pack the receiver out to get it close enough (particularly on MTBs)

Is the magnet passing the top or bottom of the receiver (may not work if passing the middle)?

As said, check the batteries, but if it's new I doubt it's this.

a serious case of small cogs
  • not sure if this applies to all computers and i have no experience of delphis.....but :arrow:

not easy out of doors, and maybe easier if you take the whole assembly off the forks and the magnet off the spoke to be honest ....but :arrow:

Try putting the wheel sensor to your ear and passing the magnet across the sensor point (should be marked on the sensor by arrows or something similar).... most sensors (all maybe?) are solenoid operated and should give a faint click as the magnet passes over. If you are all wired up, can hear a click but the speed doesnt display - you at least know you have a problem with the head unit....

hth....
  • not sure if this applies to all computers and i have no experience of delphis.....but :arrow:

not easy out of doors, and maybe easier if you take the whole assembly off the forks and the magnet off the spoke to be honest ....but :arrow:

Try putting the wheel sensor to your ear and passing the magnet across the sensor point (should be marked on the sensor by arrows or something similar).... most sensors (all maybe?) are solenoid operated and should give a faint click as the magnet passes over. If you are all wired up, can hear a click but the speed doesnt display - you at least know you have a problem with the head unit....

hth....

Thanks all. But it sure aint the battery or the distance from the sensor to magnet which is less than 1mm right now.

Turkey. Thanks for the click tip. I'll try that. There are no markings on the sensors apart from the makers name. The sensors are about and inch and a half long and right now the magnet passes almost on the middle.
    Old bikes are better
  • spasypaddy
    the sensor might be too close, i had that problem with my delphi once or twice. I shall have a look tomorrow for you but im 90% certain mine has some sort of a mark to say where the sensor should be in relation to it.

right looking at the manual the battery should be facing the floor and there is a line on it that the sensor should line up.

I think it could be that the sensor is too close.
  • spasypaddy wrote:
    the sensor might be too close, i had that problem with my delphi once or twice. I shall have a look tomorrow for you but im 90% certain mine has some sort of a mark to say where the sensor should be in relation to it.

right looking at the manual the battery should be facing the floor and there is a line on it that the sensor should line up.

I think it could be that the sensor is too close.

Thanks spasypaddy. Not sure what you mean by 'battery should be facing the floor'? The only battery is in the Delphi on the handlebars.
    Old bikes are better
  • GraemeT
    GraemeT Posts: 155
    Hi,

Make sure the wheel spins several times before you conclude that it doesn't work.
    I used to have a computer which didn't wake up until the sensor had passed 6 times.
    Just Keep Pedalling
  • Try a Garmin - no sensor just lovely fiddle-free GPS tracked loadsa downloadable data goodness...unless you want the cadence sensor that is :wink:
  • magibob
    magibob Posts: 203
    I have a slight problem with mine. cheapo decathlon model.

Works fine, but every so often, usually while climbing a hill, it suddenly quadruples or more the speed reading. ie doing 7mph, suddenly shows 28, or even 60 odd. only for a few seconds, and reverts to accurate after that.

Not a big problem, but annoying that the max speed bit can-t be trusted.

Any Ideas

Andy
  • Try a Garmin - no sensor just lovely fiddle-free GPS tracked loadsa downloadable data goodness...unless you want the cadence sensor that is :wink:

I hate to sound ignorent but I've been trying to work out exactly what 'cadence' is. I know I've got a cadence sensor on the bike but until I can get the bloody thing working I just dont know. Even the Cambridge dictionary didnt throw any light.

I thought of getting a GPS thingy for my LEJOG but the trouble with those things is you cant program a route. I reckon a fortune awaits the softhead who figures out how to do it. I'd buy it.
    Old bikes are better
  • GraemeT wrote:
    Hi,

Make sure the wheel spins several times before you conclude that it doesn't work.
    I used to have a computer which didn't wake up until the sensor had passed 6 times.

Thanks Graeme but I've had it on a stand and pedalled like mad. Nowt.
    Old bikes are better
  • Magibob wrote:

Works fine, but every so often, usually while climbing a hill, it suddenly quadruples or more the speed reading. ie doing 7mph, suddenly shows 28, or even 60 odd. only for a few seconds, and reverts to accurate after that.

Any Ideas

Andy

Strange it's on a hill. I guess you're not backpedalling even very slightly are you. Twice by the sensor in one revolution of the wheel would do it.
    Old bikes are better
  • I just installed the Delphi 3. It doesnt work. I've checked the installation, the position of the sensors and the magnets and configured in the wheel size and other settings. Spin the wheel - nothing. Anyone know how to trouble shoot these things? Thanks.

Roger,

Press the Reset button on the back right of the Blackburn Delphi, with a Pen or something like that it should reset ok, I had the same problem.

Cheers Russ

PS I think my Delphi 4.0 is calculating the distance as Kilometres instead of Miles, I have it set to MPH< Does anyone know how to change the distance or is this set by the MPH/KMH.
  • spasypaddy
    whats not working, the speed or the cadence?

Cadence is the amount of times the pedals spin in a minute (Basically your RPM)
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    Magibob wrote:

Any Ideas

Andy

Don't tell me - it's wireless, right?

I gave up on wireless comps a couple of years back cause I just couldn't rely on them not to go loopy going past traffic lights, near power pylons, etc. Exactly as you describe - a few seconds showing 50 mph. It completely screws up your mileages and stats, and if you're relying on those for route following (e.g. audax) then you're screwed. I have a drawer full of various wired models which all had the same problem.

FWIW I've been using the ALDI wired ones for 2 years now. £4 I think they were. Never dropped a beat - rock solid and very clear. I bought 4 last time they had them in stock for future use on various bikes!

BTW the wired ones are actually lighter as they don't need the wireless transmitter/receivers and bigger batteries.

a serious case of small cogs
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 1,048
    I'd check the following:
    1) It's not uncommon for the 'included' battery to be too weak to function properly....a cheap fix is to replace with a new battery.
    2) Double check the alignment of the Cadence magnet & transducer...it may not be properly aligned.....look for an alignment marking on the transducer.....'middle' may not be correct (I had this trouble with a Cateye :( )

This may be an over-kill for Cadence definition: http://kenkifer.com/bikepages/touring/gears.htm
    (IMHO) for beginning your performance learning curve; I'd recommend that you keep the cadence at a minimum of 80-95 rpm for flats & lt. rolling hills. For ascents; keep the rpms at a minimum of 70-75.... your performance level will dictate your gear selections :shock: ...Time-in-the-saddle and increases in your performance level will improve your cadence & gears' selections.
    If you're trying to maintain a decent speed, cadence levels below 70 are overworking your quads and will surely develop knee issues, (IMHO).
    Cajun
  • I just installed the Delphi 3. It doesnt work. I've checked the installation, the position of the sensors and the magnets and configured in the wheel size and other settings. Spin the wheel - nothing. Anyone know how to trouble shoot these things? Thanks.

Roger,

Press the Reset button on the back right of the Blackburn Delphi, with a Pen or something like that it should reset ok, I had the same problem.

Cheers Russ

PS I think my Delphi 4.0 is calculating the distance as Kilometres instead of Miles, I have it set to MPH< Does anyone know how to change the distance or is this set by the MPH/KMH.

Thanks Russ. It turned out to be the positioning of the magnet in relation to the sensor. But the sensor has no markings whatever on it. Oh well alls well.

Dunno if the 3 is the same a the 4 but there is only one setting to change from Km to miles. It should then show miles in distance. Out of interest did you set it up using the exact wheel circumference. I measured my wheel circumference sitting on the bike and then not sitting on it. The difference was about 40mm per revolution. Calculated out that made a huge difference over a mile. Might be worth checking.
    Old bikes are better
  • Thanks for the advice Cajun especially about the knees and the link was useful.
    Old bikes are better
  • Roger Many thanks for the advice on the sitting and not sitting my wheels are 700/23

[quote]there is only one setting to change from Km to miles. It should then show miles in distance[/quote]

What are keystrokes to change this setting

Many thanks In advance

Russ
  • Roger Many thanks for the advice on the sitting and not sitting my wheels are 700/23

[quote]there is only one setting to change from Km to miles. It should then show miles in distance

What are keystrokes to change this setting

Many thanks In advance

Russ[/quote]

On mine which is the Delphi 3 start with 'DST' in the lower window then hold down the (right) mode key for over two seconds then quick press the (left) option key until 'Wheel' shows up in the lower window. Then quick press the 'mode' key which accepts the wheel size and advances you to the 'Speed' window. Here is where you make your choice between MPH and KPH by quick pressing the 'option' key. Then quick press the 'Mode' key to advance to the next item and repeat until back to the riding screen. Hope that helps. Make sure though that you are in 'bike 1' before you start.

I found the bloody thing complicated to configure and the layout of the manual made things worse. Dont bother with the help line link for Blackburn they dont answer emails and the 'We are here to help you' crap link on their site was dead when I tried it. Good luck

Roger
    Old bikes are better
  • Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    Magibob wrote:

Any Ideas

Andy

I had a similar problem with mine, another cheapo job, last summer. I came home after a lovely mid week evening ride, checked my max speed and it told me I had done 60mph :shock:

It hasn't done it since. I've no idea what caused it but like to think it was when I raced a bus up a hill :)
  • found the bloody thing complicated to configure and the layout of the manual made things worse. Dont bother with the help line link for Blackburn they dont answer emails and the 'We are here to help you' crap link on their site was dead when I tried it. Good luck

Right email the link on Blackburns Web Site, I did got a reply and an apology and the instructions in the post the next day, it was set correctly, so tried another reset and reconfigured, and went out and everything was fine, mapped my ride on Bikely and the Computer tallied.