Should you be laughing at this?

big_southern_jesse
big_southern_jesse Posts: 729
edited January 2008 in The Crudcatcher
I don't know if any of you have come across Hugleikur Dagsson's cartoons, you'll certainly remember if you have.
Some say they are just horrific bad taste - the Sun in Ireland tried to get a campaign going to ban the books! I think that they are both hilarious and a pretty good warning about the way society is going. If they are not funny, then they are cusping on to a very serious social scare.

But that's the point: should you be laughing?

Have a look, there's a selection of his cartoons here, but none of the particularly bad ones. I think they're brilliant, but should give a warning that easily offended people should probably avoid them. :shock:

Emoticons are great! Most people will either feel: :lol: , :shock: or :evil:

Daggson clicky
Proved by testing to be faster than a badger.
The world's ultimate marmite bike

Comments

• Mmmm, I was more :?

I don't find them particularly offensive, but I don't find them particularly funny either. Just the sort of thing you'd find drawn in the back cover of an inventive schoolie's maths book.

Humour's such a personal thing...
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • I have to admit, they are pretty crude.... but I did laugh at most of them. Am I sick?
  • It's hard to judge how other people take them. I've got one of the books, and as a large set I guess they work better, and maybe I still see them in that context.

Depends whether you admire the simplicity or just see laziness and lack of skill, and that is purely subjective.
  • warm18
    warm18 Posts: 341
    i laughed at most of them. i think the alcoholic one is the best. some are less funny but it still stands that i laugghed and therefore have a twisted sense of humour
  • Depends whether you admire the simplicity or just see laziness and lack of skill, and that is purely subjective.
    The simplicity isn't a problem - I'm an avid reader of xkcd which has a similiar "stick figure" drawing style. I just prefer a different style of humour, I think.

reset.png
  • warm18
    warm18 Posts: 341
    shadowduck, thats funny stuff. i like that humour a lot. the tape measure extender sketch is funny. probably more so since my housemate and i last year had a competition during the exam revision period

http://xkcd.com/284/

which then turned into a 'lightsaber fight'
  • i loved the mayor one..... :lol::lol::lol:

ok, i admit it, i'm sick.. :wink:
    thinking happy thoughts....before the pixies steal them..

www.homersbikes.co.uk
  • I think some of the replies are funnier! not that i'm saying the cartoons aint :o

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1695431/
  • Cheers to shadowduck and warm18 for steering me in the direction of xkcd, some of those are fabulous!

Any other cartoonists people love? I was always a sucker for Calvin and Hobbes as a kid!
  • Cheers to shadowduck and warm18 for steering me in the direction of xkcd, some of those are fabulous!

Any other cartoonists people love? I was always a sucker for Calvin and Hobbes as a kid!
    Glad to be of service! :mrgreen:

I'm also a fan of Calvin & Hobbes, who isn't? I read a fair number of comics; I won't bore you with a list of the mainstream ones but a couple of the more obscure are Basic Instructions and Sheldon. Both worth a look, I think!

Edited to add: How could I forget to include Bizarro?
  • I think that this is worthy of a peek http://bigeyedeer.wordpress.com/
    Looks as though he is either having writer's block or has moved onto greater things.
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    were those spose to be offensive???

http://www.electricretard.com/

warning DO NOT CLICK ON THAT LINK. The content is SICK, DEPRAVED, MORALLY WRONG and looking at it will ensure YOU GO TO HELL. You will not find it funny IN ANY WAY unless YOU ARE A SICK MINDED INDIVIDUAL. Now ive warned ya.
    i ride a hardtail
  • Will Snow wrote:
    You will not find it funny IN ANY WAY
    You're not wrong.

Some of the Big Eye Deer / The Rut ones were pretty funny though. The art's horrendous on the earlier ones but he seems to be getting pretty good by the last few!
  • Will Snow
    gah, atleast i have a sense of humour
    i ride a hardtail
  • digdug
    digdug Posts: 90
    Will Snow wrote:
    were those spose to be offensive???

http://www.electricretard.com/

warning DO NOT CLICK ON THAT LINK. The content is SICK, DEPRAVED, MORALLY WRONG and looking at it will ensure YOU GO TO HELL. You will not find it funny IN ANY WAY unless YOU ARE A SICK MINDED INDIVIDUAL. Now ive warned ya.

LMFAO that's BRILLIANT.

God, you think that's bad? you shoud've seen the old sandbox from MBUK.

Maddy Mcann was mentioned numerous times ;);)
  • Will Snow
    yeh i thought they were pretty funny too. theres worse??? good god... are we gona need an 18+ section in the forum??? hahahaha
    i ride a hardtail
  • I find www.explosm.net hilarious :lol:

Maybe its just me being strange though..... see what you think.

Click on cyanide and happiness on the nav bar. Some maybe NSFW, though i wouldnt know, as i dont work in an office place.
  • I find www.explosm.net hilarious :lol:
    Wow, some of those are a bit surreal - pretty funny in places too though.

Anybody who clicked on Electric Retard and still has a job, has nothing to worry about SFW-wise here...
  • littleben15
    littleben15 Posts: 56
    edited January 2008
    Shadowduck wrote:

Anybody who clicked on Electric Retard and still has a job, has nothing to worry about SFW-wise here...

Good point
  • Will Snow
    Shadowduck wrote:

I did warn people!!!
    i ride a hardtail
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Will Snow, I think your confusing a sense of humour with a serious psychological disorder!
  • Will Snow
    well... if you cant laugh, whats the the point to it all???
    i ride a hardtail