Friendly club

orv
orv Posts: 92
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
I'm looking for a friendly, "unstuffy" local cycling club.... (if that makes sense)
Where's a good place to start looking? or should I just ask the next "cheerful" looking bunch of riders I come across at the weekend. :)

Last time I looked on t'web I just found a long list of club names in no apparent order some I could guess the location of based on name, often links were broken or to sites not updated for 6 months (or more) - ok perhaps they're all too busy out riding than keeping details updated, but it doesn't give a feel of an active friendly group. (One site every link I clicked was "restricted to members" and the only pages that seemed to work were the club rules and the membership form!)

Ivor.

Comments

• There are a lot people who would claim that a friendly cycling club is an oxymoron..... :D
    There are a lot people who would claim that a friendly cycling club is an oxymoron..... :D
    ...would my black socks be a problem you think? :P
    hmmm. just fancied finding a group to ride along with rather than flying solo every week.
  • antooony
    antooony Posts: 177
    I cycle with Addiscombe CC, only started with them about 8 weeks ago but find they're a really friendly bunch and have made some good friends already. They do a club run every saturday from South Coulsden station and do a variety of speeds in groups.

http://www.addiscombe.org/index.htm

Cheers
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    orv wrote:
    I'm looking for a friendly, "unstuffy" local cycling club.... (if that makes sense)
    Where's a good place to start looking? or should I just ask the next "cheerful" looking bunch of riders I come across at the weekend. :)

Last time I looked on t'web I just found a long list of club names in no apparent order some I could guess the location of based on name, often links were broken or to sites not updated for 6 months (or more) - ok perhaps they're all too busy out riding than keeping details updated, but it doesn't give a feel of an active friendly group. (One site every link I clicked was "restricted to members" and the only pages that seemed to work were the club rules and the membership form!)

Ivor.

Cycling clubs are run by volunteers, and most club websites are knocked up by someone in their spare time. If you join a club, maybe you could volunteer to help keep their website updated ?

Pop into your lbs and ask around about local clubs, and try giving a few of them a ring. Turn up for a club run or two, you'll soon find out if they're friendly or not.
  • orv
    orv Posts: 92
    antooony wrote:
    I cycle with Addiscombe CC, only started with them about 8 weeks ago but find they're a really friendly bunch and have made some good friends already.
    Cheers

aha. looks sounds ideal and the locations good. I'll try for this saturday then!
  • Not a member, but have only heard good things about Addiscombe CC so you should be OK.
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    I hear good things about Addiscombe too, which is not far from you.

I've not felt fit enough to join them yet, but would go for Kingston Wheelers, as I have purely by chance struck up conversations with a number of them, and they're a great friendly bunch who seem to put a face in at most of the events I potter along to, and appear on my regular training run.

The Dynamo hail from Richmond Park on a Saturday - Not sure as I've never really spoken to them, but it's an easy option as they do circuits of the park, so it's easy to "drop out of orbit" if you decide they're not your thing. Closest railway station is probably Norbiton.