Saddle Sore!!!

tedlarue
tedlarue Posts: 54
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
Hello all

Finally got round to getting out on a bike this weekend for the first time since my teens (I'm now close to 30!) and am suffering a bit today to say the least!

I only did about 4 miles on the road to get used to my new bike (Specialized Sirrus) and expected a few aches and pains as it's been so long but wasn't expecting the saddle sore.

Any tips to help avoid this? Is it to be expected at first or are there any fundamental checks in my bikes set-up I need to make.

Cheers

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    It'll be painful for the first few rides. After that you harden up and don't feel (as much*) the discomfort.

*it may be that you've got a crap saddle.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Were you wearing padded shorts/tights ?
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    If you haven't got some already, get a decent pair of cycle shorts with a chamois seat pad. These are designed to be worn next to the skin - no pants underneath! - as the seams in you kecks will cause irritation. You can even smother the chamois pad with Sudocrem to help stop soreness, but the cold clammy feel is not to everyones taste.

If you persevere, you will find that you sit area toughens up to the point where you can happily light matches on it :wink:
  • Have you got the right width saddle for the width of your sit bones? Failing that, sounds like you could be in a position that's putting too much weight on your rs... Make sure you've got the saddle height right then play with the fore-aft adjustment and bar height (if you have any adjustment) to make your position a bit less upright - should help. If you find that transfers the problem to your wrists, adjust back a bit until you get a balanced position that feels natural and comfortable.

As has been mentioned, you'll find you toughen up over time. Plus as you get stronger you tend to find your weight is on the pedals, not the saddle! :mrgreen:
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • Thanks for the tips.

I was just wearing bog standard shorts so I might invest in a decent pair as I'll now be getting on the bike as much as possible.

It's definitely padding I think I'm after as it's more a bruised feel than anything else - feels like I've been kicked up the backside!

Not sure what saddle I've got as I'm using the one the Sirrus came with, but again I'll see what's recommended.

Cheers guys!
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I have a similar query. I got a Giant SCR 3 for Xmas and have found that I'm feeling the saddle a lot more then I did on my old bike! I did have that bike for over a year and did some a couple of fairly long rides on it and never felt the slightest bit sore! I've put this down to the fact that it's a new bike and my bum and the saddle just need to adjust to each other! Failing that I might have to take the old saddle off and refit it to the new bike but I don't want to ruin the look :-)

I wear padded cycle shorts and then usually a pair of light 3/4 length trousers over the top to keep a bit warmer!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • disney
    disney Posts: 51
    Maybe try something like the Rido saddle, I will only use them and think they are the 'bees knees'. Cheap as well. Google Rido saddle for the link.
  • I'm a fan of the Charge Spoon, also cheap and comfortable. Unfortunately, the only solution is to try loads of saddles then buy the one you like in every available colour and swap it from bike to bike! :lol:
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • azzerb
    azzerb Posts: 208
    TedLaRue wrote:
    Thanks for the tips.

I was just wearing bog standard shorts so I might invest in a decent pair as I'll now be getting on the bike as much as possible.

I refused to wear cycling shorts for months when i first road cycling, then put them on and was like "OMG it's heavenly!"
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Before you start buying all sorts of things i would go out at least another half dozen times or so. Your backside will start to get used to the saddle and you may well think it is not too bad. I think it's perfectly normal for ir to be a bit painful and stiff afterwards the first few times out. Good luck.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I would agree with Feel, above. Though a frequent rider for many years I had an enforced rest due to injury and returning to the bike really hurt in the saddle area! It diminished after a week or two. If after a couple of weeks, then check out other things like saddle type and position (you should be wearing padded shorts anyway).

The saddle may be wrong for you, but it is a nightmare finding the best one, a few LBS's may sell you a saddle on the basis that you can try it and swap, and a few (very rare) may even have a saddle "library", but for many of us it is an expensive process of trial and error, I have about 6 redundant saddles! The best one so far for me is the Specialized Avatar in 143mm width (the shops have an "Assometer" to determine your sit bone width), but many people find Brooks saddles are best (an equal number seem to not get on with them though).

Although I am reasonably happy with the Avatar, I still get sore if I do unusually long mileage (for me). I am considering trying one of these: Titanico LD - Second Skin Watershed Leather with Clydesdale Laminate

selle.jpg

At £108 delivered to UK it is a bit of a pricey experiment, but I have been impressed with the info, video and the replies to my email enquiries.
  • Thanks again for all the advice on my posterioral problems!. I think I'll get some padded shorts for starters and persevere with the saddle for a while.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Padded shorts for 4 miles? Maybe not! Your saddle is most likely too narrow, and not supporting you on your sit bones but more on the various bits of soft tissue that also form part of your RS.
    Too stretched/saddle nose up/bars to low for back flexibiity = pain in the nuts or just behind
    too narrow, wrongly adjusted in relation to where you sit (back /forward) RS ache.
    You will harden up a bit and shorts are lovely BUT sort out the saddle problem first or you'll have given up long before Easter.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Just found this on a quick google for "adjusting a saddle"

http://www.cptips.com/saddle.htm

Seems like some good advice. I might need to try comparing my old saddles position to my new one and see if I can work out where the soreness is coming from!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • May i add my opinion.

A big slapping handfull of Sudacrem, the babies nappy white stuff in a tub, is glorious!! A word of warning, it is thicker than any cream or grease and is bleedin waterproof, so you need to have strong hand wipes as you can not, and i repeat CAN NOT wash the gooey gunk off your hands. But it does wonders for your bottom.
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Had a tinker with my saddle position last night, in light of the advice about sit bones needing to be supported!

Moved it forward about 2-3mm (about as far as I want to go as I have measure's on 1 rail!) and adjusted the angle a tiny bit and it seems much more comfortable :-) Didn't feel it to much on the 12 miles in this morning! Will have to see how I feel after the ride home!!!!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Had a tinker with my saddle position last night, in light of the advice about sit bones needing to be supported!

Moved it forward about 2-3mm (about as far as I want to go as I have measure's on 1 rail!) and adjusted the angle a tiny bit and it seems much more comfortable :-) Didn't feel it to much on the 12 miles in this morning! Will have to see how I feel after the ride home!!!!
    Yeah - well done - give it a few rides if it feels ok before making any more alterations. 12 miles starts to be shorts time in my opinion so if its ok now and you add shorts & get more used to it its probably sorted. :D
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    As always, Sheldon Brown has the answer
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html
  • Bassjunkieuk

Yeah - well done - give it a few rides if it feels ok before making any more alterations. 12 miles starts to be shorts time in my opinion so if its ok now and you add shorts & get more used to it its probably sorted. :D

Yeah, forgot to mention that, always have the shorts on! Under a set of light weight cotton 3/4 length trousers, they really need replacing as they have a rather large hole in them ( just say I wouldn't go commando in them :-D ) but they do great for the commute!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Padded shorts for 4 miles? Maybe not! Your saddle is most likely too narrow, and not supporting you on your sit bones but more on the various bits of soft tissue that also form part of your RS.
    Too stretched/saddle nose up/bars to low for back flexibiity = pain in the nuts or just behind
    too narrow, wrongly adjusted in relation to where you sit (back /forward) RS ache.
    You will harden up a bit and shorts are lovely BUT sort out the saddle problem first or you'll have given up long before Easter.

Trust me I anticipate to be out on longer rides than 4 miles! I'm building up to a 12 mile commute but with it being my first time out on a bike for over a decade I was wondering if the saddle sore was to be expected or if my setup was wrong.

I'll have a look a those links and with all the helpful advice I should get it sorted.

Cheers
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 1,048
    (IMHO) I find that the harder the saddle, the less discomfort I have....when I began cycling, I used to buy at least 1 new saddle every season for the first 4-5 years...always dissatisfied. I finally bought the Brooks (Swift) and have never looked back...the longer the ride, the less I even think about the saddle...
    (the previous thread referencing Selle-an Atomica appears to me to be a Brooks Swift with cutouts :shock: .

And yes, riding without cycling shorts is almost a guarantee to have a stitched seam running right down the middle of your backside...not to mention the restriction of the cloth on your thighs in the 'up' position..
    Cajun
  • I have had a few bikes with different saddles over many years. So far the best saddle I have tried is the Rido. I have used one on my mountain bike for most of 2007. Takes a few miles to get used to but I never had my nuts go numb or any perineal pressure like I had before. Also there is no pressure on your rectum which is a bonus!

Bought a Giant SCR LTD in September. I had 1 ride on the Viper saddle and decided that was enough. Its called a viper 'cos it bit my butt cheeks. Its also too squashy.

So risk a tenner on a Rido then go do some miles.
    100% ME!
    Do you think I would be this bad on drugs?
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    feel wrote:
    I think it's perfectly normal for ir to be a bit painful and stiff afterwards the first few times out. Good luck.

ditto, just been through it myself but your arse will soon toughen up!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.