Where to stay - North Wales

clanton
clanton Posts: 1,289
edited January 2008 in MTB general
Planning on heading to Wales for the Easter Bank Holiday weekend with a group of about eight to ten. Very keen to ride Coed y Brenin and also the Gwydyr Forest stuff, possibly Nant yr Arian too but basically want to be flexible so can plan according to weather and how people are coping with the riding.
Was thinking about finding somewhere near Dolgellau.
Any recommendation on self catering places in this sort of area?

Comments

• dave_s
    dave_s Posts: 4,362
    There should be plenty, although I've driven to Coed y Brenin a few times and then drove back it does make it a tiring day overall.

We once stayed in Bala which was quite central and might offer decent access to Nant yr Arian too since it's North Wales and also Betys-y-Coed which has some decent trails near it.

You should find places online which do self-catering flats in those areas, but a bank holiday is likely to be hammered (as will Coed y Brenin) so get something booked as soon as you can
    Dave S
  • Used this for a cycling trip around the snowdon mountains. Idle location on the foot of snowdon
    www.tycapelnantgwynant.co.uk
  • Make sure you take water proofs as the trails in coed y brenin have been like rivers last few days!
    Specailized Enduro 08 - Beast
    OnOne 456
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    how about a hostel?
    http://www.llysednowain.co.uk/
    situated here: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en ... =addr&om=0
    its got an 8 person room you could probably hire out. nice n cheap.
    i stayed there when i rode coed y brenin. small village for sure but only £14 per night and i managed to have the whole 8 person room to myself :D
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    May I just warn you in advance of booking your stay in Wales.

At the moment the railway line that runs to Betsy-y-coed that runs through Llanwrst is shut due to the embankment washing away again, and the place is crawling with civil & rail contractors so many of the cheaper end of the market guest houses may well be booked up.

But you never know