South downs map

Atz
Atz Posts: 1,383
edited January 2008 in XC and Enduro
Does anyone know if there is a bike specific map for the South Downs? I'm intending to do it soon and I know from the bits I've hiked that there might be some parts better off detoured for either enjoyment purposes or just because they're not great for bikes.

Comments

• gregsd
    gregsd Posts: 328
    Harvey's do a map of the SDW.
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Do they do good maps? The national trail website refers to them but I've got no experience of their stuff.
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    I'd suggest that you go the Tracklogs or Memory Map route and plot and print your own maps. You can then decide on your own detours. Tracklogs 1:50k maps are cheap (start at a tenner), but 1:25k are obviously better but more expensive.

I have a Rough Ride Guide map book of the North & South Downs (CRC sell them for £6.99 but I think you need the bigger Rough Ride Guide To The South East for the SDW route. These books are fine as far as they go, but I don't think you can beat plotting your own course.
  • gregsd
    gregsd Posts: 328
    Atz wrote:
    Do they do good maps? The national trail website refers to them but I've got no experience of their stuff.

Yep, Harvey's have a good reputation and some people prefer them to the equivalent OS maps. It might not be so suitable if you;re going to take de-tours from the route as you might find that you drop-off the map!