newcastle to edinburgh lightweight

andywgg
andywgg Posts: 303
edited January 2008 in Tour & expedition
Bunch of us intending to cycle from Newcastle to Edinburgh this summer. looked at the sustrans route which is 200 miles, which is perhaps a bit far for a 3 day tour, given that we want a shortish first day to allow for travel, a chunky second day (maybe 70/80 miles) then a shortish third day - so we really want a route of about 150 miles or so, maybe 170. We'd certainly like to ride up the coast for a fair bit of the ride (so Alnwick, Bamburgh, Seahouses would all be good), then cut through the borders to Edinburgh.

Anyone have any suggestions for a route that keeps to minor roads (tarmac only though) on the whole and allows for a couple of stops in interesting spots? Also any good bike friendly accommodation at appropriate points would be helpful.

Thanks
may the dawes be with you...

andy

Comments

• andywgg
    Have just had a play about on multimap and there's the b6355 that seems to go most of the way from Berwick to Edinburgh in a directish sort of way - anyone have any experience of this road?

andy
  • Ashley_R
    Ashley_R Posts: 408
    The B6355 is a beautiful route though a little hilly in places!

Rode from Edinburgh to Newcastle the other year, stuck to the coast through Lothian region, stopping in North Berwick, plenty of places to stop

Cycled the area quite a lot over the years, fantastic cycling countryside around the borders

The sustrans coasts and castles cycle route gives good ride details, though the coastal route will be less vertically challenging!

You'll enjoy it though whatever route you take

I also took a detour to stop one night in Kelso, another very nice town, you can easily spend more than a few days in the area
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
  • andywgg
    Cheers - how far is the coastal route? We need no more than 3 days (and ideally 2 shortish - maybe 35-40m) and a middle longer one of about 70 or so.

andy
  • pw1brown
    pw1brown Posts: 243
    The B6355 is a lovely road to cycle, and would be a lot quicker than the Sustrans route, interesting as that is too. A bit hilly as Ashley says, fairly remote in the middle section, a few lorries and tractors on it - but definitely an option.
  • Ashley_R
    Reckon the coastal route is about the same as the sustrans one, certainly more options for places to stop nearer the coast, especially as theres a group of you

My trip was about 200 miles Edinburgh to Morpeth, didn't bother with the last section as it was peeing it down and just happened to cycle past the mainline station and seemed too good an opportunity to pass by!

I wouldn't like to leave a hilly 70 mile day along the B6355 unless you're all fairly fit and regular cyclists
  • andywgg
    Thanks. Just been having a play on Memory Map and i reckon there's a steady 35 mile 1st day to Amble or Warkworth, then 40miles to berwick (allowing time for chips in Seahouses and a look at Holy Island) then maybe 55 along the B6355 to the middle of Edinburgh. With a sensibly early start I reckon thats a comfortable 5 or tops 6 hours ride. All the lads have done centuries before (in well under 6 hours, albeit not with clobber), and if we go in September we'll be fairly fit. The profile of that road does look quite lumpy, but it's basically all downhill from half way!!

That sound doable?

andy
  • Ashley_R
    Easily doable if you're all reasonably fit

The detour over to the Holy Island is well worth it, just make sure you check the tide times beforehand for the causeway! It will add a few miles on but like I said worth it, but if you can do a century ride on any bike in under 6 hours you'll not notice it!

also in September there won't be so many tourists, looks so much more tranquil without soddin' people everywhere!