Sprung Brooks saddle vs Suspension post/saddle?

andyrock
andyrock Posts: 54
edited July 2009 in Tour & expedition
I cycled London to India a few years back and used a Suspension post/Brooks saddle which was great until I was in Morocco and the post broke and a scumbag stole my Brooks saddle.
Im now planning a Sydney to London trip and would like to know if anyone has had the chance to compare a sprung Brooks/solid post vs a suspension post/non sprung saddle.

Cheers,

Andrew
Slayer of monsters and rescuer of damsels in distress.

Comments

• xilios
    xilios Posts: 170
    Why not use both, a champion flyer with a spung post. Just tighten the spring in the post all the way, and if anyone steals your saddle again you can just get a normal saddle and loosen the spring in the post a bit.
    cheers
  • Xilios good idea, but Im keen to try a Brooks sprung saddle as when my suspension post broke it wasnt repairable which can be a reall pain when you're 2-3 three days away from a city/bike shop.

Cheers
    Slayer of monsters and rescuer of damsels in distress.
  • Pongo
    Pongo Posts: 28
    I use a Brooks conquest on my touring bike and highly recommend it.
    I also use suspension seat posts on my commuter and recreation bikes. I think my Thudbuster is brilliant but wouldn't trust it on an extended tour. Other suspension seat posts I have used/use, were/are, in my opinion, a waste of money.
  • JHcp
    JHcp Posts: 144
    We have been using sprung Brooks saddles (a Conquest & a B67) with 'Post Moderne' suspension seat posts for the last couple of tours and it makes a great combination.

Previously we had used just the suspension seat posts with non sprung saddles. I would recommend the combination of a sprung saddle and. a suspension seat post.

We certainly noticed the benefit of them on the gravel roads in Iceland, particularly on the Highland route.

You say your suspension seat post broke, well we met a German guy whose non suspension seat post clamp broke while he was doing the Highland route and he had a long bus ride to Rekjarvik to get a replacement!

Just go for a good quality suspension seat post and your Brooks saddle, a great combination.
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    Interested in the trip. What is your route? Country wise I mean?

Jim :)
  • DomT
    DomT Posts: 648
    I highly recommend the Brooks Conquest Saddle for long distance touring. Once it is broken in you could even get away with not wearing cycling specific shorts and still remain comfortable!
  • IRGREEN
    IRGREEN Posts: 2
    I have a Post Moderne Glide suspension post and have just bought a Brooks B190 saddle. As far as I can see there is no way I can connect one to the other so it looks like I will need a new seat post.

Yet I see people are writing about having both a suspension post and a Brooks sprung saddle. Am I missing something or am I just unlucky with the fitting on the post? : :?
  • tarpaullynn
    tarpaullynn Posts: 146
    IRGREEN wrote:
    I have a Post Moderne Glide suspension post and have just bought a Brooks B190 saddle. As far as I can see there is no way I can connect one to the other so it looks like I will need a new seat post.

Yet I see people are writing about having both a suspension post and a Brooks sprung saddle. Am I missing something or am I just unlucky with the fitting on the post? : :?

I have a Brooks B67 sprung saddle and a suspension seat post, the secret is to get compatible gear and you haven't.

My seat post is micro adjust and my Brooks fits on easily as it has a single rail, yours has twin rails so won't fit a micro adjust seat post and you need something like this

SAP3.jpg

which the clamp on your saddle fits onto. I don't know if there are any suspension ones available though.
    Tarpaullynn
  • tarpaullynn
    tarpaullynn Posts: 146
    Aha just found one through the power of Google available here. Check that the head which is 22mm diameter will fit your Brooks seat clamp.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=8231&src=froogle

8231humpertplain_xl.jpg
    Tarpaullynn
  • IRGREEN
    IRGREEN Posts: 2
    edited July 2009
    Aha just found one through the power of Google available here. Check that the head which is 22mm diameter will fit your Brooks seat clamp.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=8231&src=froogle

8231humpertplain_xl.jpg

Brilliant stuff.

Thanks very much. I had searched for a straight suspension post without joy.

The power of Google took me to: http://wazaar.com/cart_productdetails.a ... UCTID=2031
    where the same thing is for sale at £10.60 (free delivery) with payment via PayPal for added peace of mind.

24th July edit NB Please ignore the link above. 10 days on from ordering - no seat post! No replies to my emails. Have handed the matter over to PayPal to deal with.

Thank you very much.

Iain
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    I got a brooks flyer from st john st last year and this is the answer to long distance problems. I wish I had got one many years ago. Suspension posts do not necessarliy bounce so freely in the right direction and cheap elastomer based units collapse and need replacing. Even quality ones cause discussions about side to side play as they wear.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Broo ... -13443.htm

Blimey, they've gone up!
    It'll last many years , though.

TerryJ
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow