Mudguards

JonBurns
JonBurns Posts: 212
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
Hi,

Been out with the missus on a few rides over the past few weekends. The downside is she has no mudguards on her Giant SCR2/3?

This is causing me problems as whenever I ride behind her she seems attracted to riding through puddles, mud, crap and road kill, which ends up all over me. I've asked her to stop but could someone recommend a good set of reasonably priced mudguards. Her bike has eyelets so should take a pair ok.

I'm currently using race blades and don't have an issue with them.

Thanks,

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    The SKS Chromoplastic guards seem to last well and do the job fine.

You will need to fit a mudflap on the rear guard to keep the following rider smiling - I pop-rivet a piece of pitch-polymer damp proof course (Ruberoid Hyload or similar) cut in the shape of a beaver tail - cheap, tough, flexible and available from any friendly builder.
  • Another vote for SKS - I found them a bit fiddly to fit, but once on they're great.
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    I can only echo the above comments, SKS Chromoplastic, IMO the best mudguards you can buy.......
  • Have you tried riding in front of her /
    Two wheels good,four wheels bad
  • cycologist wrote:
    Have you tried riding in front of her /

Don't want to be sexist but I much prefer to look at my wife's lycra clad butt. I'm sure she wouldn't want to look at mine so it suits me. :D

Maybe the same applies here?
    Tarpaullynn
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Bronzie wrote:
    The SKS Chromoplastic guards seem to last well and do the job fine.

You will need to fit a mudflap on the rear guard to keep the following rider smiling - I pop-rivet a piece of pitch-polymer damp proof course (Ruberoid Hyload or similar) cut in the shape of a beaver tail - cheap, tough, flexible and available from any friendly builder.
    Yes I have those fitted on a Giant SCR 3 - I got them in black. They look really cool and do a great job.
  • cycologist wrote:
    Have you tried riding in front of her /

Don't want to be sexist but I much prefer to look at my wife's lycra clad butt. I'm sure she wouldn't want to look at mine so it suits me. :D

Maybe the same applies here?

When I cycle with the wife we normally try to cycle two abreast with me on the outside . When we cycle in single file I always ride in front as it's easier for her to follow a wheel than to ride out front .

edit : and yes I do have full length guards with an added flap on my winter bike as does she .
    Luke