cycling trip SICILY

cynical bill
cynical bill Posts: 13
edited January 2008 in Tour & expedition
Plan to travel to sicily next june and am wondering where would be a good base to stay in. I plan to do a bit of mtb and some road. Looking for just a nice town to stay where they have a good few restaurants and some bars. :?:

Comments

• toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    I've been to Castellammare del Gulfo a few times, which is very nice - a fishing town with harbour and within cycling distance (15m) of Palermo airport. I've never tried cycling there, but I may well be doing so in April this year so will report back. I should imagine it gets bloody hot in the summer, though.

a serious case of small cogs
  • Sicily is my destination also next year, heres a dumb question, is there much Roman or greek history there? I am a ruins nut. :)
  • lateralus
    lateralus Posts: 309
    netchicken wrote:
    Sicily is my destination also next year, heres a dumb question, is there much Roman or greek history there? I am a ruins nut. :)

Plenty of that. For starters, Siracusa, ruins of amphitheatre etc just by the quarry where the Athenian prisoners were kept and slaughtered by the Syracusans after the unsuccessful seige. Also temples at Agrigento and extensive ruins at Selinunte. Not to mention the amphitheatre at Taormina, which is up on the cliffs and has amazing views of the sea and Mt Etna.

That's just what springs to mind off the top of my head. I'm a ruins nut too and I was very happy there!