Back pain

benvickery
benvickery Posts: 124
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
I went out today for the first time on my brand new Planet-x superlight pro and after an hours ride, my lower back is really stiff. I've been riding a mtb regularly since last summer and I'm normally very upright. Is it normal for the back to take a while to get used to the new riding position or do you think I need to adjust my saddle or bars as I might be overreaching.

The bike was wonderful, despite it being really windy, my average speed still jumped by a couple of mph over the same route.

Thanks

FCN : 4

Comments

• PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    normal in my case Ben, when i moved from MTB to road i really suffered for a number of rides, i think you just need to go through a bedding in period
  • Thanks for saying that, it's good to know someone else has experienced the same thing. If the weather is good this week then I'll cycle to work, 5 miles each way will be a pefect way to get those muscles and my back used to be bent over further.

• Ben - use low gears as well so that you are spinning rather than pedalling slowly.
  • webbhost
    webbhost Posts: 470
    I had it too,

Just take it easy at first, and when possible use the upper part of the handle bars or even better go hands off occasionally (only if you're confident and theres plenty of space!)..

Im not surprised you had back pains if you sat like that for 3 hours after having a mountain bike.

Welcome to the roadie obsession... err i mean hobby?
  • Thanks for your thoughts. At the start of my ride I was cycling into a 20 mph wind uphill so I was working hard and that probably didn't help. I can cycle hands free on my old bike no problem and I did try it on my new one, but I think I need a bit more practiceand confidence!!! The road bike is so much more responsive.

I think the obsession has got me as well.

• woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    when I first had my road bike, coming from an MTB, like you I had back pain, give it a few months, and it will go. It's all down to the change in position. But do check that the road bike is set-up properly for you though, reach, saddle height etc.
  • i'm a new convert from mtb too. had my first cycle this morning (just under 3 hours 80km at what felt like good pace in wind with 2 other experienced cyclists) on my new 58cm specialized tarmac (XL). i'm just under 6 foot but have very long inseam and short torso (circus freak!!) so was recommended, by a bike man i trust, to get bigger frame to compensate on top tube, rather than compensate on other areas of the bike. according to online measurements i should go for 56 frame.

i had aching lower back during cycle and found myself very very forward on my seat (which won't go any further forward) and also thought the bike didn't respond that 'quickly', i seemed to have to work hard to manouver it...is this just getting used to road cycling? already since i got back today i've been eyeing up short handlebar stems!
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    timnewbie wrote:
    i'm a new convert from mtb too. had my first cycle this morning (just under 3 hours 80km at what felt like good pace in wind with 2 other experienced cyclists) on my new 58cm specialized tarmac (XL). i'm just under 6 foot but have very long inseam and short torso (circus freak!!) so was recommended, by a bike man i trust, to get bigger frame to compensate on top tube, rather than compensate on other areas of the bike. according to online measurements i should go for 56 frame.

i had aching lower back during cycle and found myself very very forward on my seat (which won't go any further forward) and also thought the bike didn't respond that 'quickly', i seemed to have to work hard to manouver it...is this just getting used to road cycling? already since i got back today i've been eyeing up short handlebar stems!
    Hang on... surely since you have long legs and a short body, you need a smaller frame so that the reach is right? You could then compensate for your long legs by having more seat post exposed.

I'm between 6'1" and 6'2" and I ride a 58 cm frame. My proportions are the other way round - shortish legs, longish torso.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Speaking from personal experience: if the pain doesnt go away and not already done so, try doing some core exercises (Pilates is good if you can put up with the ribbing).
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • ColinJ wrote:
    timnewbie wrote:
    i'm a new convert from mtb too. had my first cycle this morning (just under 3 hours 80km at what felt like good pace in wind with 2 other experienced cyclists) on my new 58cm specialized tarmac (XL). i'm just under 6 foot but have very long inseam and short torso (circus freak!!) so was recommended, by a bike man i trust, to get bigger frame to compensate on top tube, rather than compensate on other areas of the bike. according to online measurements i should go for 56 frame.

Hang on... surely since you have long legs and a short body, you need a smaller frame so that the reach is right? You could then compensate for your long legs by having more seat post exposed.

I'm between 6'1" and 6'2" and I ride a 58 cm frame. My proportions are the other way round - shortish legs, longish torso.

I had a 58cm specialized and at 6ft it was way too big for me, I had to sell it after 3 months as I was stretching way too much, it was recommened I went for a 54 at 6ft..
  • Lhance
    Lhance Posts: 88
    Check your saddle position - sit on bike, lean against a wall , drop a plumb line from the boney lump just below the knee. It should line up with the middle of your pedal!
    Work on your core strength CYCLO-CORE.COM.
    Dont ride to work every day ,you need to let your body recover to improve :!:
    If you can have breakfast after your ride you will ride like a god and use body fat.
    Make sure back pain is not nerve pain ie. burning sensation spreading down leg if so stop riding and seek help.
  • I rode 30 miles this morning and had no back pain at all :D The reach and position was fine and I moved my hands around on the bars as you all suggested.

Thanks for all your comments

• peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    edited January 2008
    are you riding on the drops ? or on the hoods ? try just riding on the hoods next time and consider fitting a shorter stem to reduce your reach.If your arms are constantly straight then the chances are you are over -reaching which will put a big strian on the weaker back muscles and ligaments
    great advice about strengthening your core muscles too (pilates etc). I am doing that at the moment because of a back problem.
  • lots of good advice.

Also make sure you are stretching your hamstrings. Cycling can shorten and tighten them up - which leads directly to stiff/sore lower back
  • great advice folks - thanks. been taking on board. got myself a 30degree 60mm stem which helps. doing fred whitton soon so will get compact chainset and change from 175mm crank (std issue with 58 frame) to 172.5mm. i tested on a mates and made a difference. lesson learned - road test before spending a lot on a bike and trust your instinct!
  • great advice folks - thanks. been taking on board. got myself a 30degree 60mm stem which helps. doing fred whitton soon so will get compact chainset and change from 175mm crank (std issue with 58 frame) to 172.5mm. i tested on a mates and made a difference. lesson learned - road test before spending a lot on a bike and trust your instinct!
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    chill888 wrote:
    lots of good advice.

Also make sure you are stretching your hamstrings. Cycling can shorten and tighten them up - which leads directly to stiff/sore lower back

Excellent advice chill888 - something i learn't to my cost (£30 a session at the osteopath :lol: )

Seriously though folks make sure you are regularly stretching your hamstrings.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    There's a clue in the original post, about it being a windy. Of course there may be other causes too, but straining while riding into headwinds or crosswinds may have exaggerated any problems with the setup of the bike or the rider's fitness.
  • Old Tuggo
    Old Tuggo Posts: 482
    I have my saddle height and reach to the bars the same on both MTB and Road bike. So when riding on the tops on road bike the position is almost the same.