end to end on a galaxy

tpmlogan
tpmlogan Posts: 36
edited January 2008 in Tour & expedition
Have a 90's super galaxy needs need group set . are they stillavailable? Am I mad or should i buy a new bike for lands end to JOG
Peter
tpmlogan

Comments

• acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Sure, but I would suggest either buying a Deore mtb groupset and adding road shifters or buying what you need individually. This is what I would get, unless I just decided to buy a Campagnolo Race triple group...

Stronglight Impact triple crank..
    Deore LX long cage rear mech..
    Tiagra STI or bar ends or Campagnolo Ergo shifters with a shiftmate..
    Suitable front mech (Tiagra triple probably)..
    Nice Canti brakes (Chain Reaction has a sale on some older Shimano ones)..
    Proper Kool Stop pads for those brakes..
    New wheels if you need them..
    Cassette/Freewheel to suit.

You might find that your existing wheels are limited to 7 speed, in which case I recommend Sora 7 speed Sti levers.

Good luck!
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    The bike will be fine, and you can fit all sorts of different drive systems to them.

Mmmmm Deore LX long cage...still running mine
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • tpmlogan wrote:
    Have a 90's super galaxy needs need group set . are they stillavailable? Am I mad or should i buy a new bike for lands end to JOG
    Peter

A new bike insteady of a groupset? That's a flase economy. I've don the End to End in both directions on A 1990's Galaxy (identical frame to a Super Galaxy) with Deore MTB chain set and 7 speed Megarange Shimano cassette throw in a Deore rear mech and the whole lot will come in at under £90.
  • thanks
    it was just my local bike shop was suggesting that it would not be possible to get the new parts and they would not fit etc. But I c old buy a new Cannondale from him.
    tpmlogan
  • Speak to Spa Cycles. They have loads of Shimano kit available for older bikes like this.
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    tpmlogan wrote:
    thanks
    it was just my local bike shop was suggesting that it would not be possible to get the new parts and they would not fit etc. But I c old buy a new Cannondale from him.
    In the nicest possible way: bollocks.Mine will even set up cog selections. I am running 12 to 32 on the rear, built up from what they had in stock.
    You need a new LBS.
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • Ashley_R
    Ashley_R Posts: 408
    tpmlogan wrote:
    thanks

Sounds like your LBS has a surplus of cannondale stock he want to shift IMO

As long as the frames sound, no problem with just replacing the parts, its the parts in your body you need replacing that normally are the major concern!
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    He's right that getting new STX parts is going to be tough. But finding 7 or 8 speed parts is not hard. And your frame will be just fine for modern parts. Nothing has changed that drastically!

Also, steel frames can be spaced at the back to take wider rear hubs. The Cannondale he wants to sell you will be obsolete if anyone introduces 140mm hubs for mtbs (eg for 11 speeds ;))
  • m
    any thanks ,
    a new bike shop seems to be the best answer
    Terry
    tpmlogan
  • tpmlogan wrote:
    thanks

Absolute rot!

Deore Chainset £45
    Deare Rear Mech £19
    SRAM & sp 12-32 rear sprocket £12
    Sram Chain £12

All available from Chain Reaction www.chainreactioncycles.co.uk who deliver within 24 hrs of order placement

A long chat with Spac cycles www.spacycles.co.uk might also pay dividents as they are very knowledgeable about touring and Dawes cycles.
  • Pekka
    Pekka Posts: 119
    I am doing LeJoG on an early 1990s Super Galaxyin June. A trusty steed that has remained true for many many tours. There have been many changes through the years. Hewitt wheels with XT hubs. Seven to nine gears. New just about everything with the final touch a respray at Argos cycles in British Racing Green with gold decals. What else can I say! Heaven.