Flying and Mudguards

Stuck on a Giant
Stuck on a Giant Posts: 256
edited January 2008 in Tour & expedition
I'm about to order a bike and need to specify some mudguards. We're planning on flying to Europe somewhere and will probably use an old cardboard bike box to transport the bikes. The rear 'guard shouldn't be too much of a issue as I'll leave the rear wheel tied in place, just take the skewer out, but the front one may be an issue as I'll turn the forks sideways to avoid any risk of crushing.

So I'll need to remove the front mudguard. Does anyone know of any that are easy to remove and re-fit? Thanks

Comments

• tatanab
    tatanab Posts: 1,283
    Depending on how you attach them they are all easily removed.

Don't bother turning the forks, it will not help greatly. Putting a spacer/old wheel axle in the fork ends will do a better job.
  • Depending on how you attach them they are all easily removed.

Agreed, mine have a socket the 2 stays push into (so they pull out if something gets snagged intstead of lock the fw) then one bolt at the top of the forks easy.

gb
  • cpeachey
    cpeachey Posts: 1,057
    You could try putting the front gaurd over the back one for transit. Also fix the bars so they cannot be turned 180degrees.
    Chris
  • Gotte
    Gotte Posts: 494
    Just zip-tie the front guard to the front wheel. It's safe but out of the way, like that.