Cipo to Rock Racing (for real)

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited January 2008 in Pro race
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/Cip ... 74681.html

And he wants to sign Basso.

Will Mr Ball produce some fly "Cipo" jeans?
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• mookie
    mookie Posts: 29
    Cipo has 'no problems' signing Hamilton, Sevilla and, er, Basso. What kind of signal is that sending?
  • iainf72
    mookie wrote:
    Cipo has 'no problems' signing Hamilton, Sevilla and, er, Basso. What kind of signal is that sending?

Well, Mr Ball signed them.

And why should anyone have a problem signing Basso?
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    iainf72 wrote:
    mookie wrote:

Well, Mr Ball signed them.

And why should anyone have a problem signing Basso?

Um... cos to all appearances he's an arrogant self serving @rse who may not be able to race effectively clean, and who has a higher than average chance of dragging your brand into the toilet at some unspecified future date?

Strava is not Zen.
  • iainf72
    calvjones wrote:
    Um... cos to all appearances he's an arrogant self serving @rse who may not be able to race effectively clean, and who has a higher than average chance of dragging your brand into the toilet at some unspecified future date?

I'm also an arrogant self serving @rse but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to race as a pro. The punishment for doping is 2 years, he has done his time. I'd suggest he has a lower chance because he'll be watched closely.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Does this make Rock and Republic Euro? Or Cipo less Euro?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • never mind all that. will he be wearing the regulation shorts? :wink:
    Cycling - The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • *cough*Publicity stunt*cough*
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    I hope Cipo confines himself to crit appearances and managing the team rather than trying to go up against the young guys or taking up a team space which younger guys deserve a shot at .but staying fit in semi retirement is a good idea, good for Cipo if true. Ease off on Tyler I say...he's now done a 3 year ban...it's enough, let him return.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    iainf72 wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

I'm also an arrogant self serving @rse but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to race as a pro. The punishment for doping is 2 years, he has done his time. I'd suggest he has a lower chance because he'll be watched closely.

Whaddya mean. You're lovely :lol:

Fair enough but I suggest his 'I only tried to dope honest' would still drag a brand/team into the questionable. I didn't say he shouldn't be able to race: your question was why ANYONE should have a problem with hiring him. I suggest CSC, all the French teams, High Road and Astana all have good reasons not to hire him (as with TH): because he didn't hold his hands up and say 'fair cop' , appearing to think he's done nothing wrong.

If you contrast this with various levels of (yes, pressured) confession and remorse (I believe in some cases genuine) of others I suggest Basso is still a bad bet, which was my point - not that he shouldn't be allowed to race

Strava is not Zen.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Cipo needs some dosh to pay back the 1.1 million euro the Italian taxman wants. Plus, I hear cougar food is not cheap either.
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    afx237vi wrote:
    Cipo needs some dosh to pay back the 1.1 million euro the Italian taxman wants. Plus, I hear cougar food is not cheap either.

Is that not "small change" for Cipo?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    Surprise, surprise, it looks like it's all about to go belly up.

Cue jimmythecuckoo. :wink: