touring italy

V
V Posts: 2
edited April 2008 in Tour & expedition
hi all

i am arranging a 7 month tour through italy from may to november. i have no particular plans as yet, just want to see as much of the country as i can. i am planning to do as much as possible by bike (obviously!) so was wondering if anyone had any suggested routes, or ideas for me on how best to tackle this. any 'not to be missed' places that people have been to? (other than the usual suspects that is)
i am an experienced backpacker but a bicycle touring novice and will be travelling solo, so any suggestions on touring in italy or touring in general would be most welcome!
cheers
V

Comments

• xilios
    xilios Posts: 170
    V wrote:
    hi all

i am arranging a 7 month tour through italy from may to november. i have no particular plans as yet, just want to see as much of the country as i can. i am planning to do as much as possible by bike (obviously!) so was wondering if anyone had any suggested routes, or ideas for me on how best to tackle this. any 'not to be missed' places that people have been to? (other than the usual suspects that is)
    i am an experienced backpacker but a bicycle touring novice and will be travelling solo, so any suggestions on touring in italy or touring in general would be most welcome!
    cheers
    V

In seven months you'll see most if not all of Italy. I would sugest you get The Lonenly Planet Guide. Than find all the national parks and make your route through them. In the summer it will get expansive, busy and very hot. It might be a good to start South and head North to the mountains in mid summer, than work your way back South again for Automn.
    You can check out journals by locale at http://www.crazyguyonabike.com, one of my favorate is Mountains, Rivers and Rivieras.
    The trains in Italy are very good, cheap and bike friendly if you decide to avoid a boring or industrial area.
    One route that I would highly recomend is on the R222, a ride between Florence and Sienna http://www.geocities.com/springtour2007/week2.html click on the bikely link below for route details and elevation profile.
    Another route that would be nice to take is the Appian way, its one of the first roman roads that lead from Rome to Brindizi, there are a few others but you need to do some research on.
    We have found Italy very beautifull and easy to ride in and even though I've seen it once alone and once with my wife, we will be definetly be going back there again.
    Check out our site for some pics and ideas.
    cheers
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    The climb up to San Marino is long but satisfying and the descent is whizzy. Lovely ice cream in the town. IMHO Puglia is not to be missed. Try and use the rural lanes. There is a gorgeous run from Gioia del Colle toward Matera that I went far to far down on a day ride. The realisation that the shiny silver line was a fast approaching coastline had me turning east and slogging up to and through Matera.
    Brindisi was a bit of a let down but the Roman ruins are worth a look. Sit on the steps looking over the harbour and try to imagine how tall the columns must have been using the surviving bases as a guide.
    Florence is too beautiful for words.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • cpeachey
    cpeachey Posts: 1,057
    Places to visit.
    Alberabello for it's funny houses and Lecce, an old walled city.
    The Cistine Chapel is Free on one day a month.(don't remember which day though)
    West of Rome there is a large Roman town to wander around. Rough Gudes very good for facts and accomadation.
    Lots of lovely hilltop towns.
    It will be hot and very busy during the summer.
    Chris
  • Wooliferkins
    The Trulli's in Alberabello! Fancy forgetting them, thanks CPeachey. Il Falcone a v fine Puglian wine. Well worth negotiating for as it can be very expensive for tourists but get a local on side and this excellent wine is very affordable.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • cpeachey
    cpeachey Posts: 1,057
    Pictures of our tour from Bari
    http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/m33/ ... om%20Bari/
    Chris
  • Wooliferkins
    CPeachy!!! Now i've got to go back. But I didn't want to go alone! Not sure I can wait for someone to realise I'm a catch :)
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Some links:

http://www.bicitalia.org/ (in Italian but maps and downloads)

Ciclopista del Sole in English.

Overview of the Italian cycle network.

Worth doing some research on the Via Appia/Via dei Pellegrini.
  • Since most have been recommending the south - don't miss the Dolomites (on bike and on foot) or the northern lakes.
  • mark1956
    mark1956 Posts: 221
    I spent 2 weeks in Tuscany in May 2006, and I'm going back for a month in Sicily, Sardinia and Tuscany in April/May of this year.

Xilios is right, the SP 222 from Florence to Siena is a very pretty ride. If your gears are low enough and your legs are strong enough, there's a tiny hill town called Montefioralle at the top of a 20% grade that I thought was worth a visit. Like Wooliferkins said, Florence is beautiful and worth a few days stop over. The trouble is, everyone knows this and it's a very crowded and expensive place. The HI youth hostel (Villa Camerata) is about the best of the low budget accommodation, but reserve as far ahead as you can because it sells out in a hurry. Siena is pretty, too, but try to wander through the old town early in the morning, before the tour bus crowds roll in at around 10 AM.

I had good luck with the
    Touring Club Italiano 1:200 000 regional maps, get them from the club website if you can't find a store that sells them. Joining TCI can also get you discounts at campsites, hotels, museums and stuff.

I found lots of ferry connections from mainland Italy and the south of France to Corsica, Sardinia and Sicily. From what I've been reading while planning my upcoming tour, any of these islands should be worth including in your tour.
    mark
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    bucksmatt wrote:
    Since most have been recommending the south - don't miss the Dolomites (on bike and on foot) or the northern lakes.
    I agree, the Dolomites are something really special and not to be missed for scenery and pass cycling. Around lakes Maggiore and Lugano is wonderfully relaxing on Sunday mornings when there’s little traffic apart from other cyclists.

I'd add the hills of Liguria, the central backbone area between Terni and Campobasso, the peninsula of Gargano, and the Cilento coast south of Naples (just not in high summer there - too hot).

I'd avoid the main roads as much as possible, and if I wanted to see any cities or large conurbations, like Milan, Rome or Naples, I'd think about getting the train in for the last 10-20 km.

There are thousands of enchanting places in Italy and you'll probably find your own 'not to be missed' favourites of which practically no one else has heard or at least never considered. Mine include Oropa, Bargo, Vernazza, Mantova, Comacchio, Volterra, Gradara, Perugia, Sant Oreste, Sulmona, Alfedena, Metaponto, etc.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    xilios wrote:

You can check out journals by locale at http://www.crazyguyonabike.com, one of my favorate is Mountains, Rivers and Rivieras.
    Glad you liked it!
  • how about going through sabina, a bit of a forgotten gem. beautiful unspoilt proper italian region. lots of lakes, great food, hot springs at viterbo, stunning hilltop casperia...secret festivals, amazing quiet country lanes...
  • If you're a woman you'll be hassled non-stop by the men so watch out, they have a habit of dropping their trousers and showing you parts of their anatomy that you'd rather not see!

J
  • We would all have to agree that the Dolomites cant be missed, its heaven
    Be sure to get these passes under your belt:
    Pordoi, Giau, Pellegrino, Rolle, Campolongo, Sella, Gardena, Costalunga, Lavaze, Lugarno , Stelvio, Bernina, Pampeago...
    I know there are some cool cycling camps that can take you about as well..
    be careful as many are expensive... let me know if you are interested in the cheaper more authentic ones, at least they willl get you to the right places!