Tour of Wessex

2»

Comments

• Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    I concur about Alfred's Tower. I did it in a 39x25 and it wasn't easy (and I'm fit). Unfortunately I went over the handlebars about 5km later after not spotting a speed bump on the way out of Stourhead House. Needed a trip to A&E after that :-(

Hippy: I'm working for BikeRadar now after leaving CN about a year and a half ago. But since Future bought CN, the two sites are working together.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    Ahh, that's what you get for being fit enough to ride it without a compact/granny ring! I'm gonna try it again next weekend with the 39/27, hopefully it will be dry as half the problem last time (this morning) was I had to do most of it sat down to try to keep the back wheel from spinning! Didn't go into detail before but the compact crank I've ordered is coming with a new Cannondale Synapse SL Ultegra attatched to it! Currently riding an Orbea Vitesse which will be the 'bad weather' steed once the Cannon arrives! Delivery's running about a month late so will only get about a month on it before the TOW! Fingers crossed....
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    I did the Tour in 2006 and 2007 and will give it another go this year.

on the climbs, what iis the brutal climb that featured on day 2 last year, but was a descent on day 2 in 2006? Coombe common?

in anycase, that is the hardest climb on the tour IMO. it is straight, but brutally steep ... I think over 20%? I just got up it last year, but most people - even very fit cyclists - were walking. I got up thanks to have a 39/27 at my disposal but this year have a compact so hopefully it will be easier.

none of the other climbs are hard IMO ... unless it's windy in which case dunkery beacon is a bit of a swine.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    The climb in the Quantocks on day 3 seemed to have did it for many - 80% seemed to be pushing up it when I was there.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    Yeah that is the one. It is day three you're right. That is one mf cker of a climb made worse by the spectators at the top
  • Yeah that is the one. It is day three you're right. That is one mf cker of a climb made worse by the spectators at the top

Classy description! Like it :D Conveys perfectly the sense of difficulty and humiliation that it presents!