Which tyres & tubes

schlepcycling
schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
edited January 2008 in MTB beginners
I've just bought a Giant XTC 3.5 which has 26x2.1" tyres can anyone recommend me some slick/semi-slick tyres that I can use for commuting. Also I need some extra inner tubes, do I need to buy some that are sized larger than the tyre itself e.g. 26x1.5-2.25 or can I get away with ones that are sized 26x1.9-2.1?....thanks.
'Hello to Jason Isaacs'

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    If you are commuting get some full slicks, I like the specialized fatboy's. Weigh piss all, puncture resistant and long lasting. Also insanely fast and grippy enough for most road based commutes, and indeed anything which isn't slippery.
  • strodey
    strodey Posts: 481
    I have the same bike, but slightly upgraded!
    I ride on and off road so went for panaracer razer xc as they still offer great grip offroad but also brilliant on road, really lightweight too so that an added bonus! not an out and out semi slick but near enough!
    Carbon is a mans best freind
  • SCOTT-E
    SCOTT-E Posts: 10
    are those panaracers a tight fit on a 26" ? just coz i was thinking of getting them for my carrera fury as the continental gravity tyres that came with it are a very tight fit , i got some rim tape from halfords to replace the vey thin stuff that came with it and it is too thick to use with my current tyres , had a total nightmare trying to fit them after a recent punture , several extra puntures later from using excessive force n back to the old rim tape :x
  • strodey
    strodey Posts: 481
    The panaracers were just right fit for me!
    Carbon is a mans best freind
  • SCOTT-E
    Cheerz !
  • Tel39
    Tel39 Posts: 243
    SCOTT-E wrote:
    are those panaracers a tight fit on a 26" ? just coz i was thinking of getting them for my carrera fury as the continental gravity tyres that came with it are a very tight fit , i got some rim tape from halfords to replace the vey thin stuff that came with it and it is too thick to use with my current tyres , had a total nightmare trying to fit them after a recent punture , several extra puntures later from using excessive force n back to the old rim tape :x

I have a fury too, had it since last november, got a puncture after about the 3rd ride and had loads of fun trying to get em back on, how tight are they!! broke a few levers and spoons etc trying then went to LBS and they gave me a couple of levers called Pedros, bright yellow, was still a struggle though! I got some thicker rim tape too after hearing of a few people on here getting pinch flats on their furys.
    Quite happy with the Gravitys on them at the mo but if i do get some different ones im just hoping they wont be as tight, cant fault the bike though...
    Vis Unita Fortior
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    That's odd, i can get my panaracers, (both trailrakers and cinders) on and off without levers. Both 26" and folding.
  • SCOTT-E
    TEL39 .. have only had mine since december but i have to agree with ya ... they`re great lol

i spent loads of time watching this forum before deciding on my purchase and don`t have any regrets , and the tyres do perform well they just too darn tight for my liking
  • i have some bontrager semi slick the fine on road and i've even used them off road and they still seem to grip.
    they up for grabs anyone intrested?