What's a Reliability Ride?

Richie G
Richie G Posts: 283
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
Bit of a newbie question i'm afraid! At lot of clubs seem to have them early in the year- any ideas?

Rich

Comments

• its literally just that... a 'reliability' ride to check that your bike is in good nick and you are in shape for the start of the season.

they're not exactly races... but folks have been known to go a bit mad on them :D so expect a faster pace than the normal club run.
    ========================================
    http://itgoesfasterwhenitmatches.blogspot.com/
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Here's my take on it:
    Reliability rides are traditional early season non-competitive training events similar to an Audax ride in format. At signing-on, you decide how long it will take you to ride around the course, and if you complete the event within your chosen time band, you receive a certificate. Some of the rides are route-marked, others will provide you with a route sheet to navigate yourself around the course.

The "non-competitive" bit should be taken with a pinch of salt as a lot of fast boys treat them as a chance to batter their clubmates legs.
  • Richie G
    Richie G Posts: 283
    Cheers for that - yet another cycling term that didn't have a clue about!
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    And a lot of clubs are now calling their Reliabilities 'Sportives' and charging a higher higher fee in order to jump on the bandwagon !
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    My wife and I fancied a change so shoved our tandem into the car and entered a reliability trial that started in a town about 20 miles away. We were somewhat disappointed when the route passed within a mile of where we live :) It was good fun though,especially when the fast lads caught us and we latched onto the back for a few miles.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster