Riding in the wet

Ruari
Ruari Posts: 217
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
What is the general consensus on after care for ones' steed after a ride in the miserable wet? So far my dampest rides have been on wet roads, and all I've really need to was wipe the drying dirt off. I've heard that all one has do is keep the chain lubed up and generally give ones' steed a wipe down. Now, this seems great, but is that all that's required? I would have thought it'd be a bit more involved. Any thoughts on what I should be doing to keep my bike in tip-top condition after a wet ride? :?
FCN 1

Comments

• Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    That's all I've been doing. Clean the crap off the chain/cogs/chainrings and relube. I've given up cleaning the dirt off the frame because it seems so utterly pointless at the moment. And you get days like today where it gets washed off anyway.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Ruari
    Thanks, just making sure I wasn't going to be doing too little. :D
    FCN 1
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I stick my bike on stand, hose it, wash it, put in shed for hour or so to dry, then lube the chain or it will rust!!
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    I blast mine clean (taking care with BB & cassette area generally) with a hose pipe - let it dry/wipe dry - then use some TF2 Teflon spray on certain parts then use Finish Line on the chain - bit bothered after the last blasting though - a wet sloshing sound coming from the rear wheel/cassette area when the wheel's rotated ........ live and learn :lol:
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    I avoid hose pipes! Bucket of water, big sponge, a car wheels hand brush useful for rims (wear alarmingly if left dirty!) and tyres (good way to avoid loss-of-inflation situations), dry of, WD40 etc on moving parts, oil chain.
    Some or all those according to degre of filth!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • NFMC
    NFMC Posts: 232
    I leave it covered with mud and general shit and then get on it again the next day. I probably wash it every six weeks.

Terrible, I know. But I use it every day for a commute and cannot be bothered to do anything when I get in. I also get the kids dumped on me the moment I walk in the door. I suppose I could do something with it when they've gone to bed but I really can't be bothered.

This may explain my high service costs!
  • Johnny G
    Johnny G Posts: 348
    I sprinkle with a watering can, spray with Muc-Off and leave for a couple of minutes, rinse off with the can again then spray with GT85 (especially on the transmission). I've stopped using a hose as water under pressure tends to find its way into the bearings.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    OK, I dont hose it at high pressure, just low pressure with fine spray to wet the bike.
    I never use wd40 on chains, better to use gt85.
    WD40 is a dispersant, it washes everything out and when fry no lube left at all.
  • I leave mine in the shed and a team of elves clean mine whilst I sleep.....I wish.
  • Put bike in stand, remove wheels and clean frame etc with a garden sprayer and a brush. With wheels layed down clean the rims in the same way. Clean hubs and cassette with a damp cloth only, if being thorough clean between sprockets with a rag and an old hacksaw blade, put a little parafin on the rag if necessary.

Never let any water or degreaser near the hubs, ever ever. Water is what ruins hub bearings and cleaning your bike carelessly is the best way to get water in your bearings.

Re grease the hub bearings regularly if riding in the wet all the time. It doesnt take long when you get the hang of it.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    I think life is too short to clean bikes (or cars for that matter). I just oil the chain after a wet ride to prevent rust.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • Ruari
    Thanks for the info, pieinthesky, I like to think that if I'm willing to spend lot of money on a bike I'm going to look after it. Good to get the info on the hubs, was wondering about them... Also like the 'rag on a hacksaw blade' method, thanks for the info. :D
    FCN 1
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I usually wash the bike down, wipe and re-lube the chain after a wet ride.

If your hubs are well sealed then you have no worries about water getting in as they are subject to a fair amount of' 'blasting' when out in the rain. Just keep de-greaser away.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Cleaning is becoming a chore way the weather has been...s/s or fixed beckons!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."