Yahoobedoo
Yahoobedoo Posts: 109
edited August 2008 in The Crudcatcher
New MacBook Air

gallery-big-01.jpg

Comments

• lm_trek
    lm_trek Posts: 1,470
    Very stunning, but also very expensive for what it is!!

Will keep to my powerbook for now!!
  • scotttomo
    scotttomo Posts: 531
    Ooooooo snazzy! waffer thin,how they do it?
    any opinions on which are better macs or pcs? considerin a comp at the mo, only for the home like as i hijak our works pc to post on here for now :roll:
    "If i was a slug i don't think i could handle it, i'd just throw myself in the salt pot" -Karl pilkington

Whyte 46, i fall off it alot!!
  • Bikedevil
    Bikedevil Posts: 1,156
    SCOTTTOMO wrote:
    Ooooooo snazzy! waffer thin,how they do it?
    any opinions on which are better macs or pcs? considerin a comp at the mo, only for the home like as i hijak our works pc to post on here for now :roll:

Brace yourself, you've not only asked for an opinion but on a (what has become) a on going global debate.

myself I couldn't say, just try them both if you can.. it's down to the user.

one thing for MAC's is simpler but can be a pain to get spares for.

PC's are bigger, easier to upgrade and sometimes have a lot of crap on but its down to which interface you like
    Brought to you by:
    Trix©orp Industries

For everything & anything pointless
  • scotttomo
    scotttomo Posts: 531
    thanks bikedevil might try and have a go on both at the weekend. Macs are sexy as fook though :D . mainly want one for the interweb but im sure will use it for alot more when i decide which one to get i belive macs are becoming more compatible with other brands too? was wonderin how true this is?
    man i've just realised i'm on my way to hijaking this thread, sorry yahoobedo :oops: maybe i should just start a new one and watch the mac and pc war begin between mtbikers :lol:
    "If i was a slug i don't think i could handle it, i'd just throw myself in the salt pot" -Karl pilkington

Whyte 46, i fall off it alot!!
  • lm_trek
    lm_trek Posts: 1,470
    Mac vs PC debate! always good and healthy, i used a PC from when i was 14 remember back in the day monochrome monitor and 4mb hard drive being the top spec. My first home PC was an XT 8086 processor VGA monitor 40mb hard drive and so on, so i did my gcse's on a PC, i did my BTEC and then my Degree all on a PC, but what do i run now?? a mac, i love it, no viruses, no blue screen of death, and its just very functionable, ilife is amazing and everything just works.

If you want to play games, get a mac and a games console, if you want to do your work a mac is good, for media stuff mac has imovie and idvd oh and the daddy itunes! if you want to surf the net we have safari and my mac can sleep which my pc never did!

Its all personal preference but me i prefer my mac!

Im one well and truely converted mac user now
  • lost-time
    lost-time Posts: 549
    If apple did MTBs then they'd be way overpriced, not compatible with any other makes and you'd have to send them away just to replace even the simplest of things....
  • Bikedevil wrote:
    one thing for MAC's is simpler but can be a pain to get spares for.

PC's are bigger, easier to upgrade and sometimes have a lot of crap on but its down to which interface you like
    *waves the penguin flag*

Don't make the mistake of assuming PC = Windows! Stick Linux on a PC and get the best of both worlds for less money than either. :mrgreen:
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569
    lost-time wrote:
    If apple did MTBs then they'd be way overpriced, not compatible with any other makes and you'd have to send them away just to replace even the simplest of things....

Not compatible? What? Do you mean like SRAM 1:1? Or do you mean that you wouldn't be able to ride them on the same trails as other bikes. The Mac/PC compatibility argument is a myth: they network together just fine and Macs run MS Office. That's about 99% of computer users catered for.

Oh, and I fitted a new hard drive to a Macbook this week. You just unclip the battery from the base and pop the hard drive out. It took me about 5 minutes. If Apple made MTBs they'd weigh f**k all, would have automatic transmission, and voice activated lock-out.

Probably
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    It would be handy if Apple made MTBs.

You'd be able to tell who the gullible posers were so much easier.

;)
  • jpembroke
    Yes, Apple do indeed make things easier.
  • digdug
    digdug Posts: 90
    If apple made bikes like they made the above laptop, then you would get a frame, forks, and two wheels. To upgrade to a bike with a stem, handlebar and pedals, would cost an extra £1099.
    Unfortunately Apple products are not compatible with gears or brakes.
  • Matteeboy
    Matteeboy Posts: 996
    lost-time wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

They'd also only be ridden by smug architects and designers who think they know better, and would be covered in "innovations" that were actually brought out by others 5 years ago.
    Two Stumpjumpers, a Rockhopper Disk and an old British Eagle.

http://www.cornwallmtb.kk5.org
  • lm_trek wrote:
    Mac vs PC debate! always good and healthy, i used a PC from when i was 14 remember back in the day monochrome monitor and 4mb hard drive being the top spec. My first home PC was an XT 8086 processor VGA monitor 40mb hard drive and so on, so i did my gcse's on a PC, i did my BTEC and then my Degree all on a PC, but what do i run now?? a mac, i love it, no viruses, no blue screen of death, and its just very functionable, ilife is amazing and everything just works.

If you want to play games, get a mac and a games console, if you want to do your work a mac is good, for media stuff mac has imovie and idvd oh and the daddy itunes! if you want to surf the net we have safari and my mac can sleep which my pc never did!

Its all personal preference but me i prefer my mac!

Im one well and truely converted mac user now

I'll second all of that (sorry to all you Mac dis-likers) But I don't want to have to upgrade the bits inside like I did with my PC I just switch it on and go, no fussing and fettling, 1 wire (Power) everything else wireless.

Tap the mouse to wake it up, walk away and it goes to sleep = Easy life!

The wife works in IT and she really hated it when I 1st got the iMac and always tried to pick faults with it, now she doesn't say anything because she knows a good product, I think she has got used to the simplicity of it after years of having PC's rammed down our throats by every high street computer store.

There is only one thing that really ticks me off about the Mac, there is no bloody .......... where is that key? No there isn't one on this American keyboard, quick look in the special Characters palette??? oh here it is! there is no Bloody # on the keyboard!

So annoying why no # key?

My 2p worth :wink:
    www.27gears.com

Sore ribs.................I must start walking the trail 1st before steep descents into the unknown!
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    EEEPc!
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I have to say that although macs are very good, an i enjoy using them, pc's are much better for me, purely because they are upgradable. It isn't difficult to make a reliable system when you know exactly the parts that are going to be in it, the fact the windows even boots occasionally is a miracle. As for linux, well.

I dual boot xp/linux and have vista on a new machine, I use macs in the lab as well. I prefer linux for most things but xp for gaming. Vista however is awful, anyone disagree?
  • Matteeboy
    Matteeboy Posts: 996
    Just bought a laptop and went for XP as a "downgrade"

I don't trust Vista one bit - mate's new Vaio is crashing all the time with Vista installed.
    Two Stumpjumpers, a Rockhopper Disk and an old British Eagle.

http://www.cornwallmtb.kk5.org
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    So annoying why no # key?

It's alt+3 (I think... at work on a PC at the moment).
  • jpembroke
    Yep, just checked: alt+3

The lack of # key aside, I am fond of my Mac and OSX; I think they are rather good.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    jpembroke wrote:
    lost-time wrote:

Not compatible? What? Do you mean like SRAM 1:1? Or do you mean that you wouldn't be able to ride them on the same trails as other bikes. The Mac/PC compatibility argument is a myth: they network together just fine and Macs run MS Office. That's about 99% of computer users catered for.

Oh, and I fitted a new hard drive to a Macbook this week. You just unclip the battery from the base and pop the hard drive out. It took me about 5 minutes. If Apple made MTBs they'd weigh f**k all, would have automatic transmission, and voice activated lock-out.

Probably

Hey... I think the compatibility thing is about kit for your apple.

So if apple made bikes, they would have apple brakes, apple cranks, apple bar and stem, apple hubs, wheels. Parts from other manufacturers would not fit.

Now the various apple bits would probably work somewhere between quite and extremely well, but the choice of different parts would be very limited to say the least.

However...this could easily change with Macs now running on intel chipsets.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • jpembroke
    Oh, OK. That's actually a fair point well made. Umm, damn.

I still like the idea of voice-activated lockout.
  • ############## :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Excellent Cheers

Had this thing over a year and never bothered to look at half the stuff it can do. and it is so much more capable than I need it to do

Many thanks
    www.27gears.com

Sore ribs.................I must start walking the trail 1st before steep descents into the unknown!
  • fumps
    fumps Posts: 227
    I know deep down that if i was to buy one of them i would be dissapointed but ......i still want one. cant work out why.

Just ....really pretty ....really really pretty !!!
    Arrrghhh it's worse than i thought!!!!!
  • :lol:
    www.27gears.com

• allyharp
    allyharp Posts: 57
    If Apple did mtbs = Cannondale ??
  • Mac-Guru
    Mac-Guru Posts: 21
    I worked for IBM traveling the globe fixing PCs and getting the damn things to talk to each other.
    Then I spent 1 week in a Mac department at Barclays Bank.
    Two weeks later I quit and got a job at a Media agency....
    Seven years in I still haven't touched a PC.

The mac just works.....
  • Megatron-UK
    Megatron-UK Posts: 91
    Apples are no longer Macs. They're Apple branded PC's.

The insides of Apple hardware are no longer the expensive, custom kit (ECC ram, NuBus, PPC processors, SCSI disk subsystems etc.) that they used to be. They're no more special than your average Dell or HP. It's just that Apple wrap the whole lot up in a shiny, white or aluminium case.

Take a typical Apple laptop and you have:

Realtek network chip (cheap)
    Intel chipset and CPU
    Integrated Intel graphics and sound
    bog standard IBM/Hitachi 2.5" sata drives

The only custom Apple kit in there is the motherboard, which is designed to fit whatever case they use. Exactly the same as any other PC manufacturer does.

The one difference between them and any other PC is the firmware they use instead of a BIOS.
    Kona Dawg Deluxe ('07)
    Kona Lava Dome ('95)

Losing weight and (slowly) getting fitter...
  • saxabar
    saxabar Posts: 30
    I guess it'd also be interesting to ponder what a laptop would look like if made by Yorkshire's Orange!
  • mort
    mort Posts: 19
    This is worth a watch,

Macbook air