Meeting ex pro cyclists

cyclingfury
cyclingfury Posts: 676
edited January 2008 in The bottom bracket
Have you ever chatted to a stranger about cycling only to find out later that the guy was a cycling legend?
A few years ago I was collecting my bike from my LBS and this guy came in with a box of cycling shirts he was delivering. We got chatting and I told him I was off to ride the Pyrenean Raid in a few weeks. He told me how he used to race up and down them and gave me some tips on descending. "Are you an ex pro then?" I asked. "Yes" he replied.
My bike emerged from the workshop and as the owner was helping me load it into my car he said, "Do you know who were just talking to?" "No", I said. "You were talking to one of the best pros this country has ever had. His name is Barry Hoban."
When I later did my research on this guy only to find out that he had ridden eleven TDFs and won 8 stages I couldn't believe just how humble this guy had been when I had met him. One could have forgiven him for telling me exactly what he had achieved in his pro career but he was simply content to chat about what I was doing.
Mr Hoban I salute you. I just wished I'd known then what I know now!

Comments

• LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    I've met Barry a few times when he's been over here doing the rounds of the bike shops in Ireland. As you say, he's a nice, down-to-earth bloke. Sells nice stuff too! However I had the advantage of knowing who he was when I met him so I didn't try to give any racing insights from the lofty heights of the domestic calendar

Sean Kelly is another very personable guy.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Pity that the BCF never gave him the England team manager's job when he applied for it. They didn't like him telling them that the current crop of Senior riders (at that time) were going nowhere and that they should concentrate on the Juniors.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Old Tuggo
    Old Tuggo Posts: 482
    Harry Hall brought Barry to our club lunch many years ago and my wife who was sat next to him asked him if he rode a bike.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Pity that the BCF never gave him the England team manager's job when he applied for it. They didn't like him telling them that the current crop of Senior riders (at that time) were going nowhere and that they should concentrate on the Juniors.
    I think there may have been quite a few more others he upset also :D and there were possibly some other interesting matters that could have gone against him!!!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The original Mr Grumpy.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Barry Hoban has come out with our club a couple of times. Very nice bloke.
  • The only ex-pro that I'm aware I have talked to is Brian Smith... he's hired a few of my road bikes here in Tenerife! A nice honest chap. :D
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    I went to the bike show in birmingham a couple of years back and as I was leaving I saw Sean Yates standing by his landrover. I said hello and he asked if I had a set of jump leads as he'd left the headlights on and his battery was flat. Very tall (but then I'm quite short).