Jason MacIntyre's dead!

vermooten
vermooten Posts: 2,697
edited August 2008 in Pro race
You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    What sad news.
  • miffed
    miffed Posts: 469
    i saw that as well, its terrible news
    Puke washes out, Glory lasts forever
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Fck indeed!!!! That's awful!
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    I'm shocked. Very sad news.

This is happening far too regularly now
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    From the Braveheart web site:-

"One of Britain’s leading cyclists was killed today while out training near his home in Fort William. Jason MacIntyre, a three-time British champion and Scottish record holder, was training on the A82 road when he was hit by a vehicle, said to be a council vehicle which overtook him and then turned into his path. The 34-year old was airlifted from the scene but died on his way to hospital in Glasgow."

Two weeks after the death of Heroncyclesport rider Chris Negus in Essex. When will people in charge f*cking wake up and implement penalties against those who kill?

RIP Jason
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    That is very sad news.

My thoughts are with his family and friends.
  • Very sad news

Not helped by BBC news reporting the story with archive footage of Graham Obree instead of Jason.

They have just apologised for the error live on BBC 24.
    EmergBiker
  • Ste_S wrote:
    This is happening far too regularly now

so true and so sad.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Thats just awful news.

We're still waiting for the prosecution of the driver who killed my clubmate a year and two days ago....

Whats the odds that the Panama canoeist case reaches court before that ?

Kill a cyclist and it just doesnt seem to be taken seriously. Nick some money and you're in trouble though ?
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    cougie wrote:
    Thats just awful news.

We're still waiting for the prosecution of the driver who killed my clubmate a year and two days ago....

Whats the odds that the Panama canoeist case reaches court before that ?

Kill a cyclist and it just doesnt seem to be taken seriously. Nick some money and you're in trouble though ?

Even worse than having to wait for justice to be administered, is that in far too many cases, 'justice' is often a derisory 'penalty'.
  • BrianS
    BrianS Posts: 112
    Having woken up this morning to many emails and phone messages from many sad and shocked individuals the Fund has decided to act sooner rather than later.

Money will never help bring Jason back but it will help ease some of the difficulties that his family will need to deal with in the future. As we all know Jason was a carer to his daughter.

With regards to this the Braveheart Fund have decided to set up a 'Jason MacIntyre Family Donation' area on the website. We have already started the ball rolling by donating the £2000 allocated to Jason for 2008.

Link on homepage http://www.braveheartfund.com/home.asp
  • dbg
    dbg Posts: 846
    Thanks for the link Brian, just made a donation.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    So very sad for Jason Macintyre.. my thoughts are also now for his children and wife.
  • Fastlad
    Fastlad Posts: 908
    Very sad news about this great man. My thoughts are with his family at this tragic and difficult time.
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    Just read the news and can't believe it! So sad for his familly, my heartfelt sympathy to them.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • Hadn't realised he was also a carer to his daughter. My sympathies to the family and all who knew Jason. Thanks for the link to the fund too.

First post on this part of the forum as I'm usually on the commuter section (although not a commuter - see profile for explanation!)
    My bike's an Orbea Elgeta from Epic Cycles
  • R.I.P Jason MacIntyre a true legend.

its a bit of a wake up call to us all i think you will all agree. i think cycling plus or bike radar should get something rolling such as a petition or the likes and it be taken to number 10 to see if we can actually make a difference and try and prevent as much as possible this kind of thing happening on our roads where we spend a huge chunk of our free time.

what do you guys think? should we put something forward to the bike radar office and see what they feel?
    felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    Only just read the sad news...very sad.
    Thanks for the link,BrianS. just made a donation,& hope others can spare a few pounds.
    so many cols,so little time!
  • Very sad indeed. Words fail me.

I have also given to the Braveheart Memorial Fund and hope others can too.

RIP Jason.
    :cry:
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    If everything ties up as I think it does a council drivers horrendously bad judgement (the council depot appears to be where the accident occurred) and lack of thought or mirror check has robbed a man of his life etc.
    what do you guys think? should we put something forward to the bike radar office and see what they feel?

If as it reads was the classic overtake and then turn left in front how do you propose that driver error can actually be stopped?

Has the Think Bike! PIF campaign corelated in a reduction in the number of motorcyclists overtaking right turning vehicles crashing? (In fact is that campaign right as it is telling the operators of right turning vehicles to perform a life saver check but at the same time failing to encourage bikers to not carry out a dangerous and illegal manoeuvre)

You could apply the death penalty to causing death by careless/dangerous driving convictions and it wouldn't make a difference.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • bigal.
    bigal. Posts: 479
    Sad sad day for cycling when someone so talented and devoted will be missed.

All my thoughts go to Jason's family and friends.

I for one would be honoured if there was any chance to pay tribute to him in the coming days . A mass meet in Fort William could be an oppurtunity to show support for him and his Family.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    nwallace wrote:
    You could apply the death penalty to causing death by careless/dangerous driving convictions and it wouldn't make a difference.

I disagree that it would make no difference - but thats a debate for another time, another thread.

There but for the grace of God....

RIP Jason MacIntyre.
  • BrianS
    For those who wish to make a donation via post to the Jason MacIntyre memorial fund please use the details below.

Cheques made payable to Braveheart Fund - Please mark them for the Jason MacIntyre Fund.

Forward to;

Alan Miller
    Active office
    22 Douglas Street
    Kilmarnock
    KA1 1RB

www.braveheartfund.com
  • I am speaking with other members of the Braveheart's forum about a memorial charity ride being organised with any funds raised going towards Jason's Family and especially for his disabled daughter whom Jason was a registered carer for. is anyone interested? i dont know where or when probably around Fort William where Jason trained.
    felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!
  • This is really bad !
    My eldest daughter asked me to buy her a road bike because she really wanted to get into cycling, but I wont do it. I don't want her getting inot it. The roads are far too unsafe.
    The government wants us to stop using our cars as much and use pedal power yet it is failing us on penalties for killing cyclists or even just injuring.
    We could learn alot from our neighbouring european countries that are bike friendly and don't try to knock someone off their bike because they are being delayed by 1 minute.

I can't imaine what the MacIntyres are going through. I just pray my family never has to go through it.

R.I.P Jason.
  • BrianS
    [url=mms://wm2.narrowstep.tv/url2/cycling/361/Mac_CTV_BHS_cyclingtv_400.wmv]mms://wm2.narrowstep.tv/url2/cycling/36 ... tv_400.wmv[/url]
  • method
    method Posts: 784
    bibhigh wrote:
    This is really bad !
    My eldest daughter asked me to buy her a road bike because she really wanted to get into cycling, but I wont do it. I don't want her getting inot it. The roads are far too unsafe.
    The government wants us to stop using our cars as much and use pedal power yet it is failing us on penalties for killing cyclists or even just injuring.
    We could learn alot from our neighbouring european countries that are bike friendly and don't try to knock someone off their bike because they are being delayed by 1 minute.

I can't imaine what the MacIntyres are going through. I just pray my family never has to go through it.

R.I.P Jason.

This is a terrible tragedy, but I think not getting your daughter a bike is an over reaction.
  • I noticed in the single column inch that today's Daily Record devoted to Jason MacIntyre (as opposed to the countless pages devoted to date to footballer Phil O'Donnell) that the fund had raised £11,000 so far.
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    I was shocked to hear about the accident. My thoughts are with Jason's family.

What struck me was that the driver had seen Jason - he wasn't run down from behind. If you overtake someone, you are obviously aware of their presence. All I can think is that drivers assume that cyclists are only riding at about 10 mph so they think that they have plenty of time to make their left turns. It's all down to stupidity, carelessness, impatience and bad manners :evil: !

**** PS ****

Hang on... I just spotted this on Cycle Chat. It still sounds as though the driver wasn't paying enough attention...
      The short road into the council depot cuts across the cycle track at right angles and I would have expected any cyclists to watch for vehicles on this road and wait until they have passed. I can only assume Jason did not notice me swinging off the main road into the side road.
      Which could equally well be written as "I didn't notice Jason coming along the cycle track." but it does make things seem a little less clear-cut. I suppose we shouldn't speculate - the inquest should get to the truth of what really happened.

My mother comes from that area and the last time I was up there I cycled on the road between Oban and Fort William. I wasn't too keen on some of the driving I encountered - too fast, too close. The trouble is that because of the geography (lochs and mountains) there isn't a lot of room for roads so all the traffic gets forced onto a small number of very busy ones.

bibhigh wrote:
      I can see where you are coming from, but perhaps that decision isn't really what is best for her?

Take a look at this CTC web page.

I don't know where you live - perhaps it is really unsafe everywhere round there. There are roads in Yorkshire and Lancashire that I really don't like using, but there are others that I feel perfectly safe on. Can't you find any safe roads to take your daughter out on?
    • nick hanson
      nick hanson Posts: 1,655
      Reading the link above,the driver involved said "I think Jason was on the cycle track".
      Surely the driver would know for certain if jason was on the road or cycle track due to where Jason ended up relative to the junction?.If Jason ended up in line with the cycle lane,there's a fair chance he was deflected there by the momentum of the vehicle
      Unfortunately,speculation won't bring him back
      so many cols,so little time!