Kona Fire Mountain Deluxe

Newbie 78
Newbie 78 Posts: 4
edited January 2008 in MTB beginners
Hello there Pedel-heads,

I am new to this website, as I am to cycling. I am wondering if anyone can give me some advice.

In the interest of getting fit (I haven't excercised in about 5 years), I have opted for the Cycle to work scheme organised by the government. You may be aware of this scheme, it is to encourage people to cycle to work by giving a tax break on cycles and equipment.

I have opted for a £450 voucher to cover a bike, lock and helmet. Unfortunately, it is only redeemable in Halfords, so I cant shop around for the best price.

I have been researching the Kona Fire mountain 08 ((£379) and the Fire Mountain Deluxe (£425). Both are great looking bikes, which have more than enough spec for a beginner.

Every time I read about it in forums, people say that the frame is fantastically strong, however the components are a bit shite and require replacing pretty quickly (shocks, Crank etc).

I will only be using it to get to work occasionally, but mainly for a bit of off road fun at weekends (Parks and tracks rather than Xtreme mountains routes).

Please could people tell me if the Deluxe is worth the extra cash, or are there any other bikes that are around the £425 mark which would be far better for my needs.

Many thanks in advance

Newbie 78

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Hi, can you provide links to the said bikes? It is true to say that Konas tend to be underspecced compared to some of the opposition - doesnt mean they need parts changing though. Have a look at the What Bike thread in the Buying section for more options.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    I'd be tempted to look at Carrera rather than Kona at that price point, given that you're stuck with Halfords.
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Take a look at the GT Aggressor as well whilst your there, not sure what this years specs like but I'm a fan of their frames
  • Hello Supersonic and GHill,

I AM stuck with Halfords, but I have been told that they will order any bike I request from an authorised supplier if they do not stock them. I assume they will be the same spec as the websites description, however I will check before ordering.

Please see the paths to the kona website for the full specs below.

http://www.konabikes.co.uk/2008/fire-mo ... untain.php
    http://www.konabikes.co.uk/2008/fire-mo ... deluxe.php

Carrera? Really...I thought these were also made by kona?!?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The deluxe is well worth the extra - the standard one has an undamped (uncontrolled) fork in the Dart1, the Dart2 has hydraulic damping. Add to that a slicker, lighter drivetrain and its money well spent over the standard one.

Halfords can order in, but that means you cant try it first. I think you have to commit once you have ordered.

The Halfords models (carrera and GT aggressor) are well worth checking out.
  • the newer fire mountains (07+) have had the old crappy suntour forks replaced with rockshox dart forks recently so they are reasonably good now but the frame is very good for the money ( i think its the same as the old blast frame)

and carrea are made by gt btw not kona but theyt are very well specced for the money
    06 Kona Blast with RS Tora solo airs :)
  • nikrad
    nikrad Posts: 28
    If you buy instore they my let you put some extra cash if you want that option you wouldnt go far wrong with the cboardman comp at 600 quid . I got the road version and was allowed to use my 500 pounds voucher and the 75 pound worth of accessors voucher too . Speak with the manager though as some of the young guys werent that helpful
  • Thanks to all for your comments and advice.

Well, I checked out all the carreras and GTs within my price range (didn't have any more cash to put to it sadly, Nikrad). The final choice came down to the Fury 07 model and the Fire mountain deluxe, and yes, the fury is a better spec.

I know it's a bit sad, but I just didn't like the look of the fury, so I went for the lower spec'd but twice as good looking kona.

To be honest, I wouldn't know the difference at this stage. I think I will give it a year or two with this one and see how I get on. Who knows, maybe I'll be building up my own by then.

Anyway, I had to order it. So I havn't even seen one in the flesh yet. I hope it fits me (tried an 18in frame carrera instore and that was ok).

So, it arrives in about a week, I'll let you know if it was the right decision after my first ride in years. Peace out!

Excited, nieve and totally unfit, Newbie 78
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Newbie 78 wrote:
    To be honest, I wouldn't know the difference at this stage. I think I will give it a year or two with this one and see how I get on. Who knows, maybe I'll be building up my own by then.

The benefit of the Kona is mostly in the frame (and looks, but you know that already :wink: ) , it should last you a long time and is great for upgrading.

Hope you have fun on it!