Decent XC/Freeride trails in Grantham, Lincs area

big_tex_uk
big_tex_uk Posts: 183
edited January 2008 in MTB rides
I have just moved from the Peak District to Lincs near Grantham and wondered if there are any decent trails around to ride?

(Before anyone says anything i now i have just left one of the best areas in the country for riding but bills need to be paid...)

http://HDTV.real-incentives.com/11492
If i am going out on one i am happy, If i am out on one i am happy, If i have just been out on one i am happy, otherwise miserable!

Comments

• Hi there,

I used to live very near G-town... Im afraid youve landed a bit of a lemon there. The best place within a reasonable distance is Sherwood Pines. Just head South on the A1 and follow the signs.

Otherwise its very flat and uninspiring. There is a skatepark in Windom Park? Dont know whether thats your bag.

Good luck fella.
  • Thanks Tom,

I have found a few bridleways but there is nothing i can really find of any substance. I work near Sherwood Pines so will have to ride there more often. I might check out round Rutland as have seen a few pics and it might be ok.
    If i am going out on one i am happy, If i am out on one i am happy, If i have just been out on one i am happy, otherwise miserable!
  • mbrfan
    mbrfan Posts: 239
    Big_Tex,

We in P'boro sufer the same issue and have gone over to Sherwood in the past for a cheap thrill. See the thread for the P'boro guys.
    We've done Rutland a few times and it's not a challenge at all [you could do it blindfold backwards on a unicycle], although I'm sure you could find a few props to make it interesting. Last w/e we tried a bridleway at a tangent but hit the gloopy stuff straight away - good to hone your skills but a bit tiresome after a while.

If you do want to check out Rutland let us know as I'm sure we'll go again soon - one of us wants to ride along the wall at the end - see how desparate we've become!
    S
  • Hi MBR Fan,

Thanks for the info, i went out and did Bourne Woods this afternoon which is ok and seems to have loads of hidden paths all over the place. Was a bit sticky in places but ok to give my legs a spin. I am sure the locals around there must know some good routes through and looking on google earth there are loads of tracks.

I am going to try and do Rutland soon so will drop you a line to see if you are about. I am so glad i sold my downhill bike before moving here!!!!!

Ben
  • dapa
    dapa Posts: 7
    Hi big_tex_uk,

I too live in Grantham and am struggling to find any decent rides around the local area. However my brother-in-law used to ride his quad bike on a loop that starts at Barkstone Heath airfield and visits villages such as Ancaster, Sudbrook, Carlton Scroop etc. I have been promised that most of the loop is XC.

If the loop is any good i'll let you know.

We both are fairly new to the sport so our fitness levels currently need some improvement. But if you're happy to ride with a couple of 30 somethings then your welcome to join us.

I completed Rutland water last Sunday and found it ok for a beginner.

Happy Riding.
  • You could take a look at www.mountainbikerides.co.uk - there area couple of rides in the Melton Mowbray area which aren't too far from Grantham...
  • Hi dapa,

Would to be good to hear back what the route is like.

As for fitness levels and age, i have to reached the 30+ age group and am not the 11 1/2 stone i used to be when i raced in 1991/2/3/4.

I work shifts so i ride at varing times but am happy to meet up when i can.

Ben