60 mile time

Ruari
Ruari Posts: 217
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
What would be considered a 'reasonable' time for a 60 miler? Plan on doing one on saturday. planning on a not too stellar 3hr 20min (about 18mph average). Any thoughts on this one? 8)
FCN 1

Comments

• willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    seems a pretty good time to me :)

mind you i don't average anything like that for even 40 miles ;) my 10mi TT is that pace lol, but in time ;)
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • Ruari wrote:
    What would be considered a 'reasonable' time for a 60 miler? Plan on doing one on saturday. planning on a not too stellar 3hr 20min (about 18mph average). Any thoughts on this one? 8)

18mph average over 60 miles, that is amazing if you really are new to cycling!! what sort of times are you achieving in a 10 mile TT??
  • maxbass
    maxbass Posts: 64
    There's alot of depends here, what type of route is it- hilly? flat ?Weather conditions will play a part too.
  • Ruari
    Weather conditions should be clear and dry, but possibly windy on sat. The route is from Colchester to Maldon and back, so the route is 'rolling', with small hills and dips, and no really protracted climbs along the way. I haven't yet timed my best 10 mile effort yet, but I'm consistantly managing a 21mph average over 20 miles.(Also over flattish roads). Will do a 10 mile TT soon though. Be interesting to see what I manage.
    FCN 1
  • You must have a good basic level of fintness, what is your background??
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Indeed, that's very impressive! There's a 20 mile route I sometimes do where I can manage 21mph average, but that's only on the way out. On the way back it's about 17... (prevailing winds, average slopes, not very good pacing etc). What age are you and how long have you been cycling?
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    I'm slowly working back to that in a week! Respect!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Ruari
    27. In the military in Colchester. Started cycling when I started triathlon this year. Had a really good set up session with my LBS and I feel really comfortable when riding. I've always been reasonably fit, so enjoy the cycling. I'm not always confident riding on busier roads, so at the moment I'm sticking to the less used B roads around the south and east of Colchester. The furtherest I've done in one ride is 30 miles(Colchester to Tollesbury and back) and that took 1hr 30 min(20 mph ave). I know there are some 'ifs' and not exactly a concise weather prediction or road/gradient review for my plan, but it'll be the furtherest I'll have ridden in one feel swoop. I'll be packing two large (750 ml) waterbottles, a banana and four SIS 1 gel packs.
    FCN 1
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Ruari wrote:

A 15mph avg over 60 at this time of year would be good - it's "quite easy" for it to drop when you encounter wind/rain/wet surface/poor surface/hills/fatigue etc. 18mph avg would be very good at this time of year, assuming "difficult" conditions.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Sorry for going OT, but I was brought up near Colchester (and still return regularly to see family) and there is some brilliant riding to be had in the vast network of back lanes reaching out to Suffolk. Whenever I go back I am still surprised by how quiet the roads are. It's surprisingly lumpy, so an 18mph would be impressive!
  • Ruari
    Very true, roads are pretty quiet here, but, as you mention, very bumpy in places! With all the new building work going on and increased Juggernaut Lorries cutting about, there are some serious potholes being excavated! Just have to ride sensibly and not wear shades in poor light. The roads are pretty empty and drivers are pretty tolerant. Might have to open new thread here!
    FCN 1
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Will it be a solo or group effort? I did a relatively flat 60 miles last weekend averaging 17mph. Have done the same route faster when with others and the hard work is being shared.
  • Ruari
    Going solo. I know it'll be harder, butn I'm interested to see what I can do. As, by consenus, it seems to be a pretty effort to maintain 18mph average over this distance, I will be posting my efforts on this forum under a new thread on saturday(maybe sunday if I can't manage to use my hands after saturday!). I'll include as much detail as possible and be entirely honest, no point in bluffing, you only end up bluffing yourself!
    I'm quite looking forward to the challenge, and I now have a target to aim for. :D
    FCN 1
  • good luck with the ride - hope the weathers good. its a keen pace and you'd certainly drop me :shock:
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    If you can manage av speed of 18mph over lumpy route alone I would not worry. I would get a license and start racing ASAP.
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    18mph winter time for a rolling 60 mile route is pretty stellar so like Oldwelshman says you're probably race material.

In my first summer of cycling, 60 miles took 4 and half hours and left me looking like death. It took me three years to get to 18mph average and that's def. weather dependent. A 64 mile loop with 20mph westerly took me 3:45 on Saturday, 25 miles into a headwind ground the average (and me) down.

Let us know how you got on and good luck.
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    good luck with the ride :)
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • neeb
    Yes, good luck and remember to report back! :wink:
  • Ruari
    Have decided to NOT do my 60 mile effort today, as it it is extremely wet and windy out. :( Tomorrow is looking better on the forecasts, so I will hopefully be doing it tomorrow. Watch this space! :wink:
    FCN 1
  • Ruari
    UPDATE: Did my 60 miler this morning! Started just after 0900. Weather was overcast along the whole ride with no rain. The roads leading out of Colchester were wet, but after about 6 miles it was damp to dry. There was a consistant <20 mile SW wind along the whole route. The route (Colchester to Bradwell -on -sea(check it on Google maps)) was pretty flat and mostly clear of traffic early on, and was a straight out - and - back route.
    Total distance was 62.3 miles and I completed it in 3hr 24 min, at an average speed of 18.1mph! :D
    My legs are knackered and my shoulders stiff as anything, but I'm very happy with that! Thanks to everyone who commented on my post, and oldwelshman, seems like I may take your advice and apply for a race license! :D:D:D
    FCN 1
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    very impressive well done, especially with that wind! I would guess you figure quite highly in the triathlons you race (I'm planning some this summer, including two half IM tris).

The best I've managed is a 19mph average over 20 miles. Today I only went out for about 14 miles, out and back. On the way out I managed a rather poor 12 mph due to a head wind, and on the way back managed 18.5mph.
  • neeb
    Congratulations, impressive indeed! I'll bet you were determined to get it over 18mph average and that kept you pushing! :D
  • Ruari
    hammerite wrote:
    very impressive well done, especially with that wind! I would guess you figure quite highly in the triathlons you race (I'm planning some this summer, including two half IM tris).
    Go for It! Triathlon is great, just a word of advice- do a few 'brick' sessions (cycle however far you want, + - 20 miles, get off bike and run about 5 miles), they really help you on your first go! It's a wierd feeling running after cycling hard. Like Bambi! :D
    FCN 1
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Ruari wrote:
    Go for It! Triathlon is great, just a word of advice- do a few 'brick' sessions (cycle however far you want, + - 20 miles, get off bike and run about 5 miles), they really help you on your first go! It's a wierd feeling running after cycling hard. Like Bambi! :D

I've done one tri already, I should have done 3 by now, but had to pull out of two when I tore my ankle ligaments! Only sprints though.

The running and cycling I'll be fine with as I can do these easily. The swimming is my downfall, I struggle to do front crawl. Someone from work is helping me, she used to be a swimming coach, and really makes me work!!

What events do you have planned? I've not looked at many races, but will be doing Cowman in Milton Keynes and New Forest (both half IM distance). I'll probably fit in some sprints and Oly distance races in between.