Guildford/Dorking Area

gpjones
gpjones Posts: 33
edited January 2008 in MTB rides
Hi,

Just wondered if anyone knew of any XC rides in the Guildford/Dorking Area. Unfortunately as I'm at the Uni I have no car so they have to be accessible by train or bike?

I'm aware of some tracks in Dorking e.g. NorthDowns, Leith Hill, Box Hill, Redlands trail? Just wondered if anyone knows how accessible they are from a train or from Guildford?

Comments

• pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    Box Hill has its own train station and Leith Hill is a 10 minute ride from Dorking. Both offer excellent mountain biking - the best i've found in the South East.
  • JasonRwmb
    JasonRwmb Posts: 268
    As long as you are reasonably fit it is fairly easy to ride to Leith Hill from Guildford. There are plenty of bridleways so you can pretty much go the whole way off road. Something like : River Wey to the Downs Link, follow the Downs Link down to Shamley Green, then head towards Winterfold Woods and then Pitch Hill. There are loads of bridleways around there some are good to ride, some are awful... If you have an OS map you could probably figure a sensible way.
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Gomshall has a train station and access to Leith Hill (and on to Holmbusry and Picth Hill) is easy from here.
    Don't know which lines serve Gomshall though!
  • pop down to Nirvana Cycles in Westcott. They have a few mapped loops. Access to westcott (and most of the Surrey hills) from Dorking train station
    Michael
    Thanks for all the advice :D
  • gregsd
    gregsd Posts: 328
    we have some PDF route maps that you could use. Most of them start/finish in Godalming, but a few of them include routes that you could easily join from Guildford. More than welcome to join us for a ride any time as well.

Greg.