Hewitt Cheviott / Cheviott SE

doubleclanger
doubleclanger Posts: 51
edited March 2008 in Tour & expedition
Anyone know whether they're TIG welded or fillet brazed?
my baby elephant would rather walk than be a Campag snob

Comments

• TIG welded I expect at the price. Worth phoning up to verify one way or the other.
  • Well Chris Judden's March 04 review of the SE says it's fillet brazed. Other reviews say TIG welded. I don't want to pester PH, because he's a busy man and I'm buying the bike anyway. So does anyone actually know, please?
  • What made you go for th Hewitt frame? I have been thinking about buying one, but as I'm currently in Aus I'd be ding it by "remote control" so to speak.

When will you have delivery? Did you get Cheviot or SE? What is the difference 'tween Cheviot, Grampian & Cotswold?

Sorry about all the questions :)
    gb
  • Giday mate,

I went for the Cheviot because it's arguably better value than the Thorn and because of the fitting service. Time between fitting and delivery is about a month. Maybe he'd speed things up for you, if you're only in the country for a while.

I don't know anything about the Grampian or the Cotswold.
  • I've a regular Cheviot and it's TIG welded.
  • Thanks GranE. Any SE owners out there...
  • Ashley_R
    Ashley_R Posts: 408
    Yep, had mine 2 years now, love it! Comfortable, robust and built to your spec if you want anything different from standard

Think I've posted elsewhere in response to wallabyhunter's questions about cheviots on here relatively recently, may be worth doing a search
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
  • Think I've posted elsewhere in response to wallabyhunter's questions about cheviots on here relatively recently, may be worth doing a search

Yep got it thanks ASHLEY R I am 90% convinced that's what I'll do, bit scary to hand over the readies to get started when yur 12,000 klms away!

gb
  • Ashley_R
    Ashley_R Posts: 408
    Trust me (not thay I'm offering any sort of money back recommendation!), Paul Hewitt will sort you out with a top bike you won't be dissapointed with

I know what you mean though, always like to see the bike in person before I buy but you can be assured you won't be ripped off
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Here here. Best bike i've ever owned. Haven't moved a screw since it came out of the shop. Fabulous bike a joy to ride. If you are reading guys, Thanks again Paul and team
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Did it! In the UK Last week, spent the money & ordered the bike to pick up in May. Every one is so right about the service. He spent 2 1/2 hours with me & didn't know if I was buying or looking. Nice guy to deal with.
    Thanks

gb
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Ooh I can remember the excitement. What colour? You wont regret it.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • bankend
    bankend Posts: 9
    Don't have a Cheviott but I can endorse the comments about the service from Paul Hewitt. I am in the process of buying a secondhand but virtually unused bike from him. After we had agreed the price he volunteered to build up completely new wheels with upgraded hubs, new rims and extra spokes (to cope with my less than ideal for cycling weight) at no extra cost.
  • "Flam" Red, sort of metalic deep crimson colour. PH said it'd be ready late may, I'll be there mid June, 2 weeks in Lancs then off to the loire valley, out to the coast & then head north/south depending on ... ... the weather, the company, or just whatever I decide on the day I guess.

gb
  • So three months is the normal waiting time for a Cheviot then? PH told me one month :?
  • Nah, 1 month may be the norm, but I live in Aus & was there in Feb to get measured etc. I won't be back untill June, so there is no rush for mine.

Judging him from a 3 hour meeting, I would say if he told you a month, a month it would be.

gb
  • Does anyone know what sort of frame warranty you get with a Hewitt? I recently read about someone trying to sell a Cheviot with a cracked chainstay, so I guess it's not a long guarantee?