kinesis bike

joeraul
joeraul Posts: 22
edited February 2008 in XC and Enduro
would somebody apprised me of kinesis hardtail frame. what are the reviews of the experts on this bike. thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    which version?

there is more than 1
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • joeraul wrote:
    would somebody apprised me of kinesis hardtail frame. what are the reviews of the experts on this bike. thanks

I am a massive fan of the Kinesis Maxlight xc frame which I bought about a year ago. The xc has now been replaced with the xc2 which is pretty similar apart from some changes to the rear.

I have it set up as a singlespeed and it handles superbly. On tight singletrack it is utterly responsive and it is nailed on climbs. It is not an all mountain or jump frame though. Maxlight do other frmaes for those jobs, in particular there is 120mm (fork) version of the xc2 for more extreme xc riding

The frame is light (about 1.5kg) and my build with a reba, v brakes and hope wheels is around 23.5lbs. Even geared and with dics brakes it would be about 25-26lbs (and thats a day to day working weight with pedals and tyres that grip, not a bike manufacturer weight with no pedals, summer tyres and inner tunes made of condom material!)

It is so good that I am considering stripping my Trance of it's parts and sticking them on a second Maxlight (in sexy white) so i have a geared version.

It is fast, responsive, predictable and comfy. A similarly tubed frame from kona on a full bike would cost over a £1000 and the guy at Maxlight was really helpfull as I was building the bike. You get a personal touch.

There is a review on bike radar somewhere and i have posted a short review at the end of that. I did a lot a research on bike frmaes and this was head and shoulders above the rest (and you can find them for less than £200 if you look around)
  • Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/kinesis-maxlight-custom-9399

Im building my kinesis up to that similar spec but its gonna cost a whole lot more.

unocogero has got it spot on.
  • joeraul
    joeraul Posts: 22
    thanks very much. how about maxlight xc2 pro
  • joeraul wrote:
    thanks very much. how about maxlight xc2 pro

The pro has a longer top tube which adds reach and is designed as an xc race bike. The standard xc2 has a more relaxed riding postion. It's also a lot more expensive.
  • I have a Maxlight XC2 as does my mate, and we both rate it very highly