mudguards on club run

2»

Comments

• Recently ditched my mudguards because the clearances were really tight.
    The muddy roads I found myself on at the weekend would probably have caused a blockage if I'd had them on.
    Ended up getting so covered in mud that all I could do was laugh.
    While my kit was in the washing machine I cleaned the bike and had a shower and, shockingly, everything came clean. Didn't find the dirt to be any more dangerous than when I played football or rugby.

I had been thinking of joining a club but have been warned that my local one is made up of cliquey, unfriendly, kit-snobs. I'm guessing that me and my mudguardless bike will be unwelcome.
    Anyway, I'm off out for a smoke.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I don't belong to a club but I had been out riding in a group, but haven't been all winter until I winterised my bike (I've been a bit busy too), no rules I just didn't think it was fair covering everyone else in crap! I now have race blades on which will probably stay on until the end of March.
  • I'm always at the back of the group anyway ...
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Ride at the back if no mudguards is the rule in our club.
    If there isn't a headwind it's a distinct disadvantage (yo-yo on corners, see potholes late), and if there is those at the front may decide to relax the rule (their choice) and make you do your share.
  • my two pence worth

In my club (Velo Club Beverley) we don't have a mudguard rule (as far as I'm aware :? ) but most people either use race blades or full length jobs. In my experience the race blades are pathetic at keeping the rider behind you clean and the full length ones don't fare much better. Unless you extend them.

On my winter bike (on one il pompino) I have full length ones and there's no way I would consider riding in the wet with out them. Having a wet bum two miles in is not fun especially when it's not even raining just wet roads. This to me is the real advantage as it keeps you drier and comfier, therefore happier for longer.

I do find though that they make you bike muckier as grime that other wise would have been flung away from the bike is collected in the guard to drip all over you chain etc.

I guess the best thing you can is just follow suit with the rest of your riding buddies. If they all have full length super extended guards and don't speak to you cos your always spraying them with rubbish then maybe invest in some? :lol:

Not really added anything new or useful but hey ho :lol:
    Cycling - The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • Our club - CC Luton, insists on mudguards and mudflaps. We tend to stipulate their use from the Tour of Lombardy through to Milan San Remo dates.
    Anyone can come and are welcome on our club runs. But if they don't have any guards then they'll be asked to sit on and not come through. Otherwise what we've found is that non guard riders bikes are so much lighter with less wind resistance that they end up half wheeling with no one prepared to sit on their wheels. The whole formation of the club run then becomes a danger to passing vehicles. If they come out a second week without guards and flaps then they are told to foxtrot oscar.
    Come on you Hatters !!!
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    then they are told to foxtrot oscar.
    That's one way of putting it :lol:
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    She's Lost Control - I like the cut of your jib - I feel like I know you already.

DOOH! :wink:
  • Bronzie - Yes it is I :wink:
    Come on you Hatters !!!
  • grayt
    grayt Posts: 7
    Calling Mr Hambones...

apologies for hi-jacking this post, but Ham are you up for the usual time and place on Sunday morning re heading up to Thetford (Cru site appears to be down at the moment and I'm struggling to get through to you!)

Gray
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    Hi Gray, I thought that was you lurking!!

Yep usual arrangements for Sunday. Will be a tough day's riding though with grim conditions!!! See you 7.30.

Have you signed up for the Hell of the Ashdown? MattC has entered and so have 7 or 8 from WCC.

Thread hijack over! :)
    Still breathing.....
  • J2R2
    J2R2 Posts: 850
    It should go without saying that you should have mudguards on winter club runs.

It is not just about not getting splashed with mud and rainwater from the wheel in front, it is also about hygiene. I do not want a load of mud to go in my eye, possibly causing an infection. I do not want a load of sh*te (because there is a lot of that on the road this time of year) to come off my front wheel onto the cap of my bottle, possibly causing poisoning.

Riding on a club run without mudguards in winter is anti-social. It shows utter contempt for your clubmates. I am sick and tired of pretend pro's who don't seem to realise that they live in a Northern European island with a cold, wet, maritime climate!