Getting back into bikes

Samslow
Samslow Posts: 27
edited January 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi im new so from the other forum im on (Supermoto) i believe its traditional to get the beers in so mines a stella and whatever you lot are having :D
Anyway many years ago i used to be very much into my bikes. Im now looking to get back into mountain bikes again.
Since i was last riding i see there is now many different types (it has been about 16 yrs)
of bike
Im probably looking at purchasing a s/hand bike as at least i can get alot more bike for my money. I will probably be spending initially upto £500
few quick question s if i may
1. im about 5ft 8" ish not too sure perhaps 5ft 9 31" inside leg am i right to aim for a 17.5 inch frame?

2. What different types are there and whats the difference? as im not sure what to buy
i see myself doing some road and light trail riding with the wife, and eventually some heavier stuff. i was always a bit of stunt freak so liked something tough that i could have some fun on too.

Am i looking at 2 different bikes here or do you think one would do the job?
Sorry to go on
thanks Sam

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Hi and welcome!

Size wise, maybe arond the 16" mark - but they all vary so sit on as many as you can. Top tube length and reach is very important.

Bikes at this price mostly tend to be 'trail' bikes - 100mm suspension fork, fairly relaxed geometry, disc brakes - designed for the woods, trails, xc. You may get the occaisonal 'xc' type bike with racier geometry (think longer, steeper, lower) with a short travel fork, or a hardcore hardtail (burlier frame, longer fork, relaxed geometry). None of these are going to be the best on the road, and off it, so a compromise will have to made somewhere I feel. Could go for two bikes, but at this price I dont think youd get much worthwhile. Is the road more important, or stunt riding?!
  • Samslow
    i think i could probably take the road riding out of the equation and keep it to trails and stuff at the lightest
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Samslow wrote:
    2. What different types are there and whats the difference? as im not sure what to buy
    i see myself doing some road and light trail riding with the wife, and eventually some heavier stuff.

Cyclocross bike? Fast on and off the road.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • supersonic
    Prob best to go for a hardcore hardtail bike, like this:

http://www.mcconveycycles.com/products. ... 3410&rs=gb

Somewhere does them for 500 - I dont usually recommend buying off the newt, as its hard to try them out, and back up, but you dont seem to be a beginner! Hopefully can find one local.
  • Samslow
    supersonic wrote:
    Prob best to go for a hardcore hardtail bike, like this:

http://www.mcconveycycles.com/products. ... 3410&rs=gb

Somewhere does them for 500 - I dont usually recommend buying off the newt, as its hard to try them out, and back up, but you dont seem to be a beginner! Hopefully can find one local.

that might be more for me hardtail poss you're right i need to go sit on a few and get feel of what works for me
    What sort would you call that then?
    im tempted to look on ebay for a 2nd hand bargain once i know what sort of thing i want

not the cyclocross deff not!
  • supersonic
    Its basically a beefed up trail hardtail, better suited to being thrashed! Not that many at this price mind. Compare to say the Rockhopper:

http://www.mcconveycycles.com/products. ... 3248&rs=gb

you can see the difference in the design.
  • Samslow
    supersonic wrote:
    Its basically a beefed up trail hardtail, better suited to being thrashed! Not that many at this price mind. Compare to say the Rockhopper:

http://www.mcconveycycles.com/products. ... 3248&rs=gb

you can see the difference in the design.

well im gonna start looking this week
    i'll back with more questions before long thanks for the advice so far
  • supersonic
    No probs! Hope you find some hiils in Leicester to ride ;-)
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    It's best to sit on a few different sized bikes - and different brands - to get more of a feel for what frame size you'll be.

But saying that, you're maybe 1" shorter than me and have the same inside leg - so I think a 17.5" frame would be about right for you - so long as you don't have unnaturally short arms!
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    Also, I was just browsing the reader adverts and there's a Dialled Prince Albert in medium for £450 on sale there.

Should be quite a versatile bike and looks very good value.
  • Samslow
    well ive purchased a bike its a 2006 specialzed hardrock pro comp i think got what i think is a bit of a bargain its got upgraded wheels and stem and has hardly been used due to the owner working overseas so i think im happy
    i will let u know how i get on
  • Samslow
    well got the bike today after a 350 mile drive
    and it s great think it ll do fine for my level now so hoping weathers abit better tomorrow
  • OllyUK
    OllyUK Posts: 230
    Where abouts in leicestershire are you?
  • Samslow
    oadby