Should I bother to upgrade from a Giant FCR2 to Focus Cayo?

dtejuk
dtejuk Posts: 2
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
I've had great fun on my FCR2 hybrid over the last two years using to cycle to work in the summer, doing 30-40 miles at the weekends and doing the Oxford to Cambridge bike ride. A friend suggested I'd have more fun on a road bike, and I've been looking at the Cayo...question is, would I think, "why have a paid £1000 for a bike which doesn't seem much better ( easier?) than my current one" or put another way will my wife roll her eyes and suggest its just another gadget and the one i've already got does the job exactly the same??

Thanks...

Comments

• I have ordered an FCR 1 and picking it up tomorrow...

I was under the impression it was a road bike and not a hybrid?

I thought the FCR 2 was a fantastic and fast bike? Not that I know anything but my wife would kill me if I bought another bike within a year or 5!

£1,000 is a lot of money I broke the bank paying £500 for my FCR1

I guess you have to weigh up the differences between them really and compare that to what you will get out of it?
  • pw1brown
    pw1brown Posts: 243
    As far as I can see the FCR2 is a road bike like the SCR2 but with flat bars and different brakes. You could fit drop bars - the question is, do you want to?
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    pw1brown wrote:
    As far as I can see the FCR2 is a road bike like the SCR2 but with flat bars and different brakes. You could fit drop bars - the question is, do you want to?

What he said! Don't know what the FCR IS if not a road bike!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • It is a road bike / racer with flat bars...
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    i'd consider a flat bar bike a hybrid personally

re your question - do you "want" to change bike? if you are cycling a lot and you have the budget available to buy the focus then why not - it's your money mate!
  • How very true...

I guess you are mentally trying to justify it - there is obviously something holding you back?

I use to to be of the opinion if I want it, get it and worry about the cost later as I had my flexible friend always by my side...

Now days though a little bit older and (hopefully) a little bit wiser, I have to seek authorisation from the wife and make sure 'spare' money is spent on the house and baby first...

the answer from authorisation is usually do you really need it and what is wrong with the old one?!

ahhh the old days eh!... see! she has obviously got me trained already!!!!
  • You sound like a man that has given due consideration to the purchase, go with the X, it's a better bike.
    I'm sure you wife will understand the difference between a hybrid and the Planet X, as she said to me the other night, you have to get a new ride every now and then... :wink: