Last road bike I rode was a Raleigh Arena 5 speed

jasonm945
jasonm945 Posts: 134
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
As per title, but am looking at getting a road bike. I have been mountain biking since 1994 but have never rode on the road in all that time...
2 bikes at CRC have caught my attention, and your knowledege and opinions are invited.
They are
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20586
and
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=14986

I would be using them 3-4 times a week to go to work and back on, and the odd road ride at the weekend to work on my fitness ( as I'm a fat knacker).

Thanks in advance

Jay

Comments

• grayo59
    grayo59 Posts: 722
    Hello and welcome -

If you are going to use your bike for work - what is the distance and type of terrain?
    Mudguards might be useful unless like me you are going to be a fair weather cyclist or you have a hack bike as well.
    Not too worried about the mudguard side of things, I have 3 MTB's, on of which has 1.25 spesh fatboy slicks on, just felt hat as I ahve just had a nice bit of bonus I would treat myself to something different, and liked the look of those two bikes, just know next to nothing about Road bikes, geometry etc.
  • I had a five speed raleigh arena albeit 22 years ago when i was much younger and fitter.

Ah happy days
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    For that money why I'd suggest looking at the Focus range on wiggle:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360026040&N=Focus%20Variado%202007
  • jasonm945
    jasonm945 Posts: 134
    Why would the Focus be any better than either the Cube or the Beone, especially as I would have to pay an extra £100 premium because I would need this years model??

Jay
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    jasonm945 wrote:
    Why would the Focus be any better than either the Cube or the Beone, especially as I would have to pay an extra £100 premium because I would need this years model??

Jay

What size are you after?

Because all the sizes are different prices on CRC
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    jasonm945 wrote:

Jay

What size are you after?

Because all the sizes are different prices on CRC

Very good point, only the 49 & the 52 are currently at 499.

If one of those is your size, then the Beone looks decent value to me, with 105 throughout.

Although only in size 56, so suitable for someone approx 5ft 10/6ft 1, there is this for £595: http://www.lexs.co.uk/acatalog/Mountain_Bikes_1400__2006__286.html
    If that was my size, and by chance it is, I would choose that over the Beone every time.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    jasonm945 wrote:

Jay

Why would you need this years model though? There'll be sod all difference between the 07 and 08 model and Focus are good bikes. Basically I'm recommending from experience; I have an 06 Variado which has served me extremely well. Cube are German as well so I'm sure they'll be well built. Are you able to test ride any of them, that would be your best bet. Also do you want/need a triple chainset ie: will you be cycling up any serious hills? If not I'd suggest going for a compact chainset. Of the Cube and the Beone and plump for the cube as you are getting much better wheels for your money.
  • why not check out www.pedalforce.com , they are taking numbers for a group buy on carbon frames, called rs2 i think, go through all the specs bits and you'll find a tab saying group buy. chk out pedal force in this forum , some guy ended up getting his frame delivered from U.S. inc all postage and duty for 340 quid.
    They can build a bike up to your spec also, although i don't think it comes fully built.
    other than that have a search on here for condor versus ribble, you'll be suprised how many makes use the dedaccia carbon frame which is on CRC, they just spray it up.[/url]
  • cube looks good value - quite smart too.

+1 on checking out the focus bikes at wiggle - theyre always well reviewed.