Going to Alpe d'Huez

chill888
chill888 Posts: 66
edited January 2008 in Tour & expedition
Many people don’t realize there is a lot more to do than just climbing the usual Tour de France route.

Map of 5 Route Ideas for Road Cycling Alpe d'Huez

Comments

• a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    yes, but not this year. :)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Thanks for the link. I'm planning to go in July and catch the TdF on it's way through. I'd pinpointed the green route as a possible ride out.

Can anyone recommend a good map of the area? the one I bought yesterday covers too wide an area (Rhone-Alpes AA Touring Map).

Also recommendations on good guide books to the area?
  • Can anyone recommend a good map of the area? the one I bought yesterday covers too wide an area (Rhone-Alpes AA Touring Map).

Also recommendations on good guide books to the area?

Most French would use an IGN map. Here's a link to the IGN site selling a 6 pack of maps of the entire Oisans area. Even if you don't speak French it's probably a good bet.

http://www.ign.fr/rubrique.asp?rbr_id=1934&GRA_ID=PR006

Guide Book depends on how detailed or large an area you want but the Guide Vert (Green guide) by Michelin I quite like. they have an Alps edition in english if you search Amazon.

For specifics the local Tourist sites often have quite good stuff in English.
  • I find the detailed Michelin ones quite good and are available at most book shops
  • Michelin 333 local is the map that covers the area and includes many of the famous tour climbs
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    thanks for the map advice, much appreciated!!