cycle lanes??

sithebike
sithebike Posts: 213
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
If you are riding along a stretch of road that also has a cycle lane do you legally have to use it?
The reason I ask is whilst out today I recieved some verbal abuse from a car passenger because I was riding on the road and not using the cycle lane.
I decided not to use the cycle lane as it has been very wet, the lane has loads of drain covers etc etc and is also on the pavement, so every 30 seconds you have to stop and check it is safe to cross the road.
I am just wondering if I am in the wrong.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    No, you are not in the wrong.

Road bikes are for the roads after all.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • No. you do not have to use it.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069837

i hardly ever use them as i find most to be poorly thought out, glass strewn deathtraps.

here's a good website - have a look at the "facility of the month section":

http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.uk/

:D
  • sithebike
    sithebike Posts: 213
    Thats what I thought, thank-you.. I am glad I voiced my opinion to the idiots in the car:wink:
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    There is as said no legal compulsion at issue, BUT I strongly suspect that in extremis were a cyclist involved in an RTA that would have been avoided had they used an easily available dedicated cycling facility it would count as contributiry negligence in any case for civil damages.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • sloxam
    sloxam Posts: 861
    ok, so today i left the house and went down twice before i got off our estate(gritters don't come round here). when i got on the main roads, the road was fine (not icy) away from the edge. the closer you got to the kerb, ie. into the cycle lane, there was sheet ice due to the downpours yesterday and the freezing last night. common sense tells you to avoid the "cyclists territory", so where would a cyclist stand if they were in an rta on a day like today?
    i hate hills (cos i'm fat)

www.justgiving.com/steven-loxam/
  • meagain
    Perhaps just less contributory negligence reduction?
    d.j.
  • gandalfcp
    gandalfcp Posts: 220
    meagain wrote:
    Perhaps just less contributory negligence reduction?

With all due respect , you are talking out of your arse.

Cyclists do not have to apologise for using the roads that they pay for through taxation or use cyling farcilities, even in adverse weather conditions.
  • meagain
    Glad to hear it. Didn't imply that I thought should be penalised for not using cycling lanes, just what I would argue if an insurer.
    d.j.
  • meagain
    Although having just skimmed this

http://www.cyclistsdefencefund.org.uk/d ... lbrook.pdf

it SEEMS that non-use of a cycle lane COULD be interpreted in exactly the same (often wrongly) way as non-helmet wearing and thus become a de facto argument in a contributory negligence reduction.

As I said, I hope I'm wrong.
    d.j.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Ride at a sensible speed for the situation and ensure you can stop in time. As a general rule, if you want to cycle quickly, say in excess of 18 mph/30 kph, then you should be riding on the road.

Local Transport Notes on Walking and Cycling - Annex D: Code of Conduct Notice for Cyclists - DfT

The chances of any "contributory negligence or the like is nil - you are following the DfT guidelines!

This is a reply that the "Use the Cycle Lane" pundits absolutely hate. Simply shows that they are ignorant of current legislation, the Highway code and proper use of these facilities.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)