Bottom bracket shell width reduced.

GaryGkn
GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
edited January 2008 in Road general
Has anyone successfully managed to cut down a Raleigh Twenty bottom bracket shell. I have a width of 77mm was looking to reduce it to 68mm. Is it possible and how much do you take from each side?

Any info much appreciated Gary

Comments

• Dickie
    Dickie Posts: 1,489
    I am about to do just that. Not a big job but does require milling I feel for accuracy. Though if I had no machinery I could file it to size and square, but why would you! Take it to a local engineering firm. Remove same same amount off each side.
  • GaryGkn
    GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
    Hi Dickie, Witcoms of deptford were the only helpful people I spoke to. On the phone today they said I should take it down to 73 as it is 77 at the moment. I then started thinking that if I went down to 68 it would be easier to retap to 24 tpi and also easier to buy off the peg bottom brackets. i am building a fixed folder to commute. It will be handy to be bale to chuck it in the back of the car and take it on the train from time to time.

I bought some hubs that are spaced to 120 the rear on my Twenty is 114 would it be an easy job to space these down to 114 the hubs are silver low flange On-One the nuts look long enough to be replace with shorter ones.

What is your build?