New bike - first ride - yay!

grayo59
grayo59 Posts: 722
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
Just collected my brand new spesh allez double from garlands (Bristol) and rode it the grand distance of 6 miles home.

It's a bit different to my halfords "go anywhere" bike!

The shop set up the saddle height for me, but despite their assurances it is correct it feels a little too high for me - leg length seems stretched compared with what I'm used to but that's ok - it's big mick and the twins that feel a bit crowded! :D

But although I'm not used to the gearing and seating position - and assuming both computer readouts are similar I reckon I'm about 15% quicker already - so that's nice!

Any thoughts?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    grayo59 wrote:
    The shop set up the saddle height for me, but despite their assurances it is correct it feels a little too high for me - leg length seems stretched compared with what I'm used to but that's ok - it's big mick and the twins that feel a bit crowded! :D

I think its maybe just that you're used to having the saddle too low. I'm sure you'll get used to the new position and find it comfortable after a few rides.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    If your leg has a slight bend (no more) at the bottom of the pedal stroke then height should be okay. If it is to high your pelvis will start to rock from side to side as you pedal. A simple way of getting approximate seat height is to set it so that with your heel on the pedal in the bottom of the stroke, your leg is completely straight.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    You'll get the feel for it.

Don't fiddle with the position until you're sure. I did and confused myself!

Back to square one a few adjustments after a short 5 mile ride and then leave it until the following day.

When it was right I went 15 miles, no problems.

I rekon 15% quicker is about right.

I love it because a road bike is faster!

The MTB is for getting dirty! And fun also
    Richard

Giving it Large