What shall I buy?

Tiger6791
Tiger6791 Posts: 15
edited January 2008 in XC and Enduro
Hello all, just getting back into this mountain biking lark, New Year need to get fit and all that. Just bought a Rockhopper Disc, seemed a good bike for the money rides really well.

Now not new to this, used to have (still have) a Trek 8000 from early 1990's (maybe even late 80's it has Deore XT on top of the bar thumb shifters) Its from the days that Onza Porcupines were the tyres to have, Pace bike were square and forks were all rigid somebody must remember this.

So now back riding again and you don't forget however everything has changed (whats all this jumping stuff about?). So the question is this, what should I be buying, a set of bar ends are on the shopping list but what else. My aim is eventually do 20-30k cross country rides.

I feel the need to upgrade, the standard bike looks odd, I've changed the tyres for a 10 year old pair of Panaracer Smokes I had, the ones on the bike were rubbish. But what else, money is burning a hole in my pocket?

Comments

• xcracer
    xcracer Posts: 298
    I've got a Rockhopper too...welcome to the club!

You are correct in saying that it is a great ride already so there's not much that needs to be upgraded urgently. I do recall that the factory pedals were awful though and went in the bin pretty much as soon as I got home!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Its a well rounded bike how it is. Apart from a couple of minor things to tailor to your riding (ie tyres, pedals as above, bar ends, maybe saddle) I wouldnt change a thing. Wait til parts wear out!
  • glen4
    glen4 Posts: 250
    Nothing wrong with the standard tyres when used in the summer (which they are intended for), I used them all summer on my stumpy HT, changed to Panaracer trailrakers in the winter(£40 pair from merlin)
    2009 Cove Handjob
    2009 Cove Hummer
  • Matteeboy
    Matteeboy Posts: 996
    I like the tyres - have them on both my Stumpys.

We'll be joining thje club tomorrow - 2008 red 17" Rockhopper Disk on the way. :D
    Two Stumpjumpers, a Rockhopper Disk and an old British Eagle.

http://www.cornwallmtb.kk5.org
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Tiger6791 wrote:
    Now not new to this, used to have (still have) a Trek 8000 from early 1990's (maybe even late 80's it has Deore XT on top of the bar thumb shifters) Its from the days that Onza Porcupines were the tyres to have, Pace bike were square and forks were all rigid somebody must remember this?

That brings back good memories, Onza porcupines! I had a pair of them on my '93 Rochopper, they lasted about 2 rides with the soft compound but the blingest tyres around!!

My dream bike at the time was the square Pace frame, And I actually bought a set of Kona Project 2 Forks for my ride.

can you still get Onza Porcupines?
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ONZA-PORCUPINE-FO ... dZViewItem

Looks like you can, not white anymore