Saddle help needed.

dogllabtoof
dogllabtoof Posts: 52
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
i need some advice on good comfy saddles. My Sella is fine until i hit the 20 mile mark, then its very uncomfortable for the rest of the ride :cry:

Advice as to which manufacturer, kind of saddle (gel, cut away middle etc) would be very much appreciated. I am not looking to spend allot if poss.

Thanks

Comments

• stueyc
    stueyc Posts: 518
    Charge cro mo....velo made and so comfy...£20 approx in brown or black from wiggle or seen at evans
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    I tried a couple before i found thisone for £20 in a local shop. I think the cut away is the key to comfort , at least for me it was.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I've used Brooks leather saddles for years, either B17 narrow or Professional and I find they're completely comfortable for as long as I want to ride.

Having said that, I know it's useless information. Saddle choice is a very personal thing and only experiment will help you decide what you like. I once came across a guy rummaging through a box at the Mildenhall rally. He was looking for those awful hard plastic saddles that manufacturers used to fit to cheap bikes that no-one actually used. Not this gut though. He thought they were wonderfully comfortable. I think he must have had a funny shaped ar$e but it just goes to show - we're all different 'down there' :lol:

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    Would agree with the comment about everyone being 'different'.... the Charge Spoon mentioned above is exactly the same shape as the Selle Italia SLR except with slightly more padding. It also has quite a minimal love channel. That said I'm surprised any saddle starts to be uncomfortable after only 20 miles if you're wearing some decent padded shorts etc. I've spent 5 hours or so sat on my Spoon and Selle with no pain at all!!
    Still breathing.....
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "Saddle choice is a very personal thing and only experiment will help you decide what you like."

Precisely! E.G. I cannot abide Brooks! Selle Italia SLR are fine and most narrow stuff with a channel is OK, but my favourite are the pretty cheap On One/Planet X Uranus - don't think make them any longer but I have an unused one in reserve!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • rdaviesb
    rdaviesb Posts: 566
    Brooks, or a Rolls. I rode a Rolls saddle for a good 10 years before converting the fleet to Brooks last year. It was definitely a good decision, but for single day rides up to about 120 miles, the Rolls was a great saddle.
  • specialized BG Sport Range, Very comfy but as they all say it is personal preference.
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • How about a heated saddle :shock:

HotSeat.jpg

:lol:
  • I went on that specialized bum measurer today. told me I needed the one in the middle of their range.
  • webbhost
    webbhost Posts: 470
    lmfao peter that one made me laugh.. I love it!
  • powenb
    powenb Posts: 296
    i need some advice on good comfy saddles. My Sella is fine until i hit the 20 mile mark, then its very uncomfortable for the rest of the ride :cry:

I had this problem the first few rides with the Bontrager saddle that came on my Trek.
    But after a little while it had broken in (or broken my arse in) and now I don't even notice it when out for very long rides, which is the best sign of a comfy saddle.

I would say give it a while before you change it. I have since bough 4 from ebay so all my bikes have now got the same shape saddle on.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I'm a big fan of the Specialized Toupe, done 100km rides with no probs, unlike my old Fizik Arione which caused numbness after a while.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Iunlike my old Fizik Arione which caused numbness after a while.

I bought a arione about a week ago, and ever since I recieved it I've heard bad stories about them. I haven't used it yet but I'm hoping I don't follow the trend and I hope I find it comfortable.

Otherwise I'm going to have to fork out for a selle italia flite (which I know I find comfortable - perhaps that was the booboo I made)
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Another vote for the Toupe. I also had the Arione, which was dead comfy to begin with, but after a couple of hours my charlie's went numb. I have to say though, the first time I tried the Toupe, I thought they had to be joking. It was REALLY uncomfortable. Perserverance and a couple of nasty welts later, and I've changed my mind.