first nite ride

phelim
phelim Posts: 91
edited January 2008 in MTB beginners
got my FELT RXC2 a couple of weeks ago, thought i'd give this m/biking a go having ridden road for 15yrs and to stop me using turbo trainer. a mate comes into where i work and noticed the bike very clean and it needs to get dirty so he suggests a spin after work.for the next 2.5hrs we went over back roads to the local forest nothing too technical thank god and back home, have to say i loved it and can't wait to get out to another forest a few miles away next week.the stella light was a 1st class highly recommended.
pjmcg

Comments

• dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    night rides improve any trail by about 3 times i reckon. SO much more fun at night :D
  • btwellz
    btwellz Posts: 92
    Did my 1st night ride last night and really enjoyed it. single trax black routes are about 10 time more fun in the dark :lol:
  • Go dark :)
    New '06 Giant XTC composite.(Black bike No.3)
    Specialized Allez double (Black bike No.2)
    Suzuki Sv650s (Black bike No.1)
    Subaru Legacy GT-B twin turbo (White not Black)
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    I like the way you can see all the eyes watching you from the bushes :shock:
    I'm sure they're just rabbits & squirrels :twisted:

But seriously, It does make that samey, just-starting-to-get-a-bit-boring bit of singletrack feel SOOO new 8) And you have to duck under the trees lower than normal if you use a helmet mounted light.
  • miket-62
    miket-62 Posts: 227
    Nite rides are great with your mates...Scary by your self :shock:
  • phelim
    it was a bit scary all them eyes in the hedges, the trail goes via a dear farm which made it more fun.
    pjmcg
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    ha ha was on a run the other night (about 9pm so it was dark) and i was looking down at the the road, looked up and there was a deer in the middle of the road 15m away looking at me. scared the crap out of me and i made a "woah" noise and it ran off across a field.

i run with headphones and music now so i can chill out and not wonder what the hell that noise was in the hedge next to me :D
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Got to agree, night riding is the muts nuts. :lol:

About a week back I went out and bought myself a Nite rider minewt, cracking little light, well worth £150! I did the stupid thing of going out for a ride on my own at night, the mrs knew where i was but still not the brightest idea ive had, luckily I didnt come off! My only problem is none of my riding mates have lights yet.

The trails are a totaly different place at night, you seem to fly along and sheep are even more confused about whats going on than during the day!! :lol:

If you've not done it, get some good lights and give it a go :wink:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Sev101
    Sev101 Posts: 56
    REALLY!!!!!! wanna give this a go but can afford lights at the mo gutted!
  • what lights do you guys use? can you get a light that will do the job for under a £100 ??
    Specailized Enduro 08 - Beast
    OnOne 456
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    I got 2 Fenix P3D Q5's for about £90 from GlowGadgets.co.uk. One on the bar & one on my helmet. :shock: (oo-er missus :wink: )
    They don't have quite the spread of more expensive riding lights, but they're plenty bright enough. Only problem is they suck too much juice to use rechargables, and the batteries cost (from what I could find) at least £1.10 EACH :shock: and in super-bright mode (215 lumens 8) ) they only last 1.8 hours :oops: . Although I use them on the next level down, which lets me see plenty, and they seem to last longer than the claimed 3ish hours.
  • impished wrote:
    I got 2 Fenix P3D Q5's for about £90 from GlowGadgets.co.uk. One on the bar & one on my helmet. :shock: (oo-er missus :wink: )
    They don't have quite the spread of more expensive riding lights, but they're plenty bright enough. Only problem is they suck too much juice to use rechargables, and the batteries cost (from what I could find) at least £1.10 EACH :shock: and in super-bright mode (215 lumens 8) ) they only last 1.8 hours :oops: . Although I use them on the next level down, which lets me see plenty, and they seem to last longer than the claimed 3ish hours.

A cheap running cost alternative would be to get the Fenix L2D Q5, which runs on 2xAAs; I got mine yesterday and, at 180 lumens, it looks plenty bright and will run for over 2 hours on rechargables. My plan is to have it on my helmet to compliment the Ay-Ups on my bars...

_
  • Bouyaka
    Bouyaka Posts: 21
    Hi night riders,

I think that night ride is very fun !!! Since last year, I organize with my friend a night ride once a week (when I am not on call) and we went directly in the same track than classic day ride and we got a lot of fun in down with the mud and rut.... of course we take a lot of risk but we ride very slow :lol: !

My lights are sigma 5w on my bike and a simple light in my helmet in order to see what they are near me :?

Sorry for my english, I'm a little french....
    Normandy Mud !!!!
  • phelim
    went out last nite climbing for about 2mls and back down a tricky with rain washing away the stones. havn't been out on the bike in day time, but it does seem harder at nite.
    i use a l&m stella 180 li-on it has a great beam and recharge is only 1.8hrs and an excellent run time, highly recommended.
    pjmcg
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    2007 Cateye Triple Shot Pros (EL700) can be found for under £100 now. I ordered mine last night to run with a Silva L1 headtorch. Came off twice :oops: on Wednesday night riding on my own but I do use a well used trail centre and checked there were plenty of others around.

Will let you know how good the Cateyes are next week!
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • where did u get your 2007 Cateye Triple Shot Pros (EL700) for sub £100?
    Specailized Enduro 08 - Beast
    OnOne 456
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Have a look at the on-one website they are selling some cheap dinnote led lights they are ace quality with a good (for an led) beam I run mine on me lid and a light & motion light on my bars. Cant emphasise enough dont go offroad on your own at night I broke my own rule last autumn I didnt crash but I did bust a chain and fixing my bike in the dark made me pretty scared it was a long walk to civilization and no one knew where I was
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    jeffers696 wrote:
    where did u get your 2007 Cateye Triple Shot Pros (EL700) for sub £100?

Just ordered it from Cycle Sense. They tried to deliver it this morning but I wasn't in. They still have a few in stock, 2007 model.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • btwellz
    I run the catseye el700 on the bars with an ld2 5q fenix on my lid. I love this set up!
  • btwellz
    http://www.cyclesense.co.uk/products.ph ... 41s37p2075 Got mine from cyclesense too good service was here the next day!