Help with new cassette

Roger Davies
Roger Davies Posts: 305
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
Hi, my 1970's Peugeot tourer has a five speed cassette. I'd like to change it for six speed. I know there is enough room for an extra cog but will any six speed cassette do. Thanks.
Old bikes are better

Comments

• meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Are you SURE it's a cassette? Most 5 speeds are screw on blocks. And if so a six should also screw on!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • meagain wrote:
    Are you SURE it's a cassette? Most 5 speeds are screw on blocks. And if so a six should also screw on!

You're right it does screw on. I thought that's what they all were called. I'm not that knowlegable sorry. The same question applys though. Will a modern one fit both chain and wheel. The five speed fitted is an 'Atom'. Thanks for your reply

RD
    Old bikes are better
  • meagain
    As far as I know, a chain for a 6 is the same as that for a 5 - or if it isn't it will not cause any problems with the original "5" speed front chain rings.
    The huge majority of screw on hubs are the same thread and thus fitting a six should be fine.
    Are you certain that there is enough room - in particular that the smallest sprocket does not foul the chain stay?
    That's the best I can offer - without actually seeing the bits!
    d.j.
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    A basic Shimano 6 speed freewheel will do the trick. You will not gain much from doing that though. You should invest in a new chain whilst you are at it, since the old one is probably quite worn. Do check your hub spacing though. There are some potential snags with the spacing, and also with the threading on the hub; there were several different standards for this, and French bikes had a nasty tendency to use French threads. I would probably leave it alone unless I really needed a replacement.
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    Rog there are several ways to tackle this.
    You could replace your existing 5 spd freewheel with an `ultra 6 spd' which is the same width as the 5 speed butt has narrower spacings between the sprockets and will therefore fit your existing 120mm frame width
    or you could widen the space between your rear dropouts to 126mm and then fit either a standard 6 speed or take the opportunity to upgrade to 7 speed which will also fit into a 126mm frame width .
    Measure the internal gap between the dropouts to ascertain if it is 120mm or 126mm first before you decide anything.
    Its not difficult to widen the frame's rear stays and drop out width it can be done `coldset' it just requires someone with experience to apply a carefully modrated force to the frames rear end.
    Have a good look at Sheldon's site it is the best source of techy stuff for bikes bar none.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/freewheels.html

Any sachs/Maillard freewheel will fit your wheels it is extremly unlikey that your frame would have a french thread they were mostly very cheap bikes sent to the USA during the 70s in the UK Peugeot bikes were pretty reasonable quality on the whole.

I'm almost certain I have a brand new NOS 7 speed screw-on Sachs block which you can have for the cost of the postage if I can find it
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/velos.html
  • meagain wrote:
    As far as I know, a chain for a 6 is the same as that for a 5 - or if it isn't it will not cause any problems with the original "5" speed front chain rings.
    The huge majority of screw on hubs are the same thread and thus fitting a six should be fine.
    Are you certain that there is enough room - in particular that the smallest sprocket does not foul the chain stay?
    That's the best I can offer - without actually seeing the bits!

Thanks Meagain. I'm not getting email notifications even though I click for them. So sorry for my late replies I'm not ignoring anyone. Well here are two pics. The space between cogs is 3mm, the frame space is 126mm and the free space between the smallest cog and frame is 12mm.

r.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg
    Old bikes are better
  • Thanks Peanuts and for the links. They'll be useful

And yes I'll take the chance on the seven speed. PM me your email and I'll PayPal your postage. Many thanks.
    Old bikes are better
  • acorn_user wrote:
    A basic Shimano 6 speed freewheel will do the trick. You will not gain much from doing that though. You should invest in a new chain whilst you are at it, since the old one is probably quite worn. Do check your hub spacing though. There are some potential snags with the spacing, and also with the threading on the hub; there were several different standards for this, and French bikes had a nasty tendency to use French threads. I would probably leave it alone unless I really needed a replacement.

Good advice Acorn and I would except for the fact that I'm attempting the LEJOG in May and at my age I'll need all the help I can get. Cheers

RD
    Old bikes are better
  • meagain
    Sorted I think!

Being a 126 rear helps. In fact, would almost certainly pull out to take a modern day 130 oln rear axle wheel - can usually stretch just 2mm a side by hand.

Good luck!
    d.j.
  • meagain wrote:
    Sorted I think!

Being a 126 rear helps. In fact, would almost certainly pull out to take a modern day 130 oln rear axle wheel - can usually stretch just 2mm a side by hand.

Good luck!

Ta Meagain. I have to ask what an 'oln rear axle wheel is though'? Cheers.

RD
    Old bikes are better