informal rides

stueyc
stueyc Posts: 518
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
looking for informal weekend rides/summer evenings in west yorkshire area,nothing too serious,just get bit bored on my tod after couple of hours!

anyone interested please give me shout

Comments

• meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Just check out your local CTC Group? Can usually find a Calendar via the main CTC site, I think. Most seem to have a range of "ability" groups. Round here the D Team suited me fine - though I doubt I could keep up even on their 25-30 miles potters thase days!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • stueyc
    had a look at a couple of local ones..been in touch as there runs are a little out of my range at present...weekdays ok but weekends built around a 'brisk' pace of 60-90mile.

guy didnt indicate anything less to me,but wished me well in finding somewhere!!
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    No "veterans'" rides? Shame. CTC are supposedly committed to cycling for all abilities - you'll have to move down south to Notts!
    What about Local Authority leisure programmes? Notts has run a Rural Rides (incls urban!) series for the last 25 years.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    stueyc: Have you tried any cycle campaigning groups? Many have social rides that may suit you. They tend not to be very fast (or far). A quick google (keywords:yorkshire cycle campaign) produced Leeds Cycling Action Group and the Cycle Campaign Network. You wouldn't have to be an active campaigner to go on them, but, if you go on the rides regularly, it would be polite to join.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • stueyc
    many thanks...link looks interesting...cheers
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    stueyc wrote:
    looking for informal weekend rides/summer evenings in west yorkshire area,nothing too serious,just get bit bored on my tod after couple of hours!

anyone interested please give me shout
    Hey Stuey, I seem to remember that you are from near Wakefield? I live in Hebden Bridge and if you feel like coming over to this part of West Yorkshire from time to time, I'd be happy to show you some nice routes. Well, nice if you like hills that is... :wink:

I organised a few C+ forum rides over the last couple of summers - this was one. If you fancy that kind of thing, I have a couple more in mind for later this year - one would be similar to that one, about 80 hilly km. The other is a very hilly 160 km (imperial century) - about 3,000m of climbs, some very steep. They wouldn't be quick rides - probably 5 hours or so for the shorter one and maybe 10 for the century. It would depend on who turned up since we'd go at the speed of the slowest (often me!).
  • stueyc
    Hi Colin,

Thanks for your reply,all sounds interesting

Be good to come over to you and have a ride,pretty much starting this game but always kept pretty fit..be good to have a good ride with a few likeminded people and the stuff you mentioned sounds just up my street....many thanks for the invite,much appreciated