small informal road race? legal?

ARob
ARob Posts: 143
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
just wondering if anyone knows the score on this.

would it be legit to have a race between our office and that of a similar outfit 40 miles down the road? would probably be something like 4 riders in a team time trial or similar.

would you need to notify police, get a licence or anysuch?

tempting to just do it but probably wouldn't get away with it given the organisations involved.

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    You cannot hold any competitive event on the highway without at least informing the police. Try the CTT website and you will probably find the info you need.
  • ARob
    ARob Posts: 143
    cheers for that
  • Some people run and participate in Really Arduous Cycling Events.

But if something goes wrong, well then watch out! :shock:
  • Smokin Joe
    Some people run and participate in Really Arduous Cycling Events.

But if something goes wrong, well then watch out! :shock:
    I like the cut of your jib, Alex :wink:
  • If there is only 4 of you then why not make it a fast training ride :wink: ?

Stick to the road laws (lights etc) but there is no need to inform anyone if out training
  • It is illegal, as per this link...
    http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1988/ukpga_19880052_en_3#pt1-pb7-l1g31

Good luck finding a police officer who knows this snippet of legislation or has ever enforced it though :D .
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Great idea. I belong to a racing club and we have races in various locations around the
    city every thursday, spring, summer, and fall. The club carries something like a million
    dollars worth of liabilty insurance, which we pay for, through the United states Cycling Federation. I mention this from a liabilty standpoint. I realize that you are across the pond
    but greedy lawyers know no boundries and if something should happen , well.
    Don't mean to ruin your fun but it is something to consider, especially if this becomes
    any kind of regular event.

Dennis Noward
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If it is a 'private' event i.e. not open to the public then there is no need to notify police etc - it depends what you choose to define by 'race'. To say that this applies to every group of cyclists using the road is nonsence - then virtually every bike club ride would need permission - from this implication, every 'chain gang' would be illegal The need for public liability insurance is an entirely a different proposition as regardless of whether it's a race or not, riders can still cause collisions.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Smokin Joe
    Are you sure on that, Monty?

As I understand it any event that is organised as a race or time trial is covered by the act, irrespective of whether it is open to the general public or not.
  • How can it be illegal to race your friends????

Surely common sense comes into play,as long as there is no entry fee,no prizes and no general entry to others then it is just a bit of fun amongst friends.

If you have a buch of kids who race each other to the shop and back is this illegal???
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • What if I want to race my mate to the shop and back in my car? Is that OK? :shock:
    I think the law is in place because we're not trusted to exercise common sense. Half the capital's cyclist can't even respect a red light when they're going to work - how are they going to behave if they're racing a mate?
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    I think you know very well that racing in cars on the public highway is a totally different kettle of fish.

If you're out on the open road (not city streets) I'd bet nobody would be able to tell if you were racing or just out on a club run.
  • Road Traffic Act 1988

Sec 12 - Motor racing on public ways
    (1) A person who promotes or takes part in a race or trial of speed between motor vehicles on a public way is guilty of an offence.
    (2) In this section “public way” means, in England and Wales, a public highway and, in Scotland, a public road.

Sec 31 - Regulation of cycle racing on public ways
    (1) A person who promotes or takes part in a race or trial of speed on a public way between cycles is guilty of an offence, unless the race or trial—
    (a) is authorised, and
    (b) is conducted in accordance with any conditions imposed,
    by or under regulations under this section.

Looks like a totally similar kettle of fish, actually.

I don't really care, but the OP was asking if it would be legit. I was just pointing out that he ought to safeguard himself by checking with the relevant authorities on the subject.
    After all, in the unlikely event of something going bent (crash or complaint from other road users), it might be his name all over the emails that were sent in organizing the "race".
    Does he know all the participants well enough to be certain that one of them won't get a red mist and do something that draws attention to all of them in a fit of over-competitiveness?
    There are people about who are looking for a stick to beat cyclists with, Why should we help them?
  • I really wonder what the reaction would be of the local police and phoned them to say you were going to race a couple of mates on the open country roads on your bike.

I think they have probably got better things to worry about.
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    Just saw this while searching through past posts... it reminded me of something I only realised recently. You know all the piracy laws that you are constantly reminded of when you watch a dvd? They also mean you can't lend a dvd you've bought to a friend. Or a CD. Or a book.

If your friend is laid up and you bring a book for them to read you are breaking the law.

Crazy
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • BUICK wrote:
    If your friend is laid up and you bring a book for them to read you are breaking the law.

Don't think so, not for books anyway. Lending a book to somebody does not constitute a breach of the copyright owner's intellectual property rights. It's not a copying, nor a performance, nor an exploitation of reserved rights. So far as I know, anyway.

And as for the race thing -- what the police will enforce and what the law says are not always the same thing. I think we all know that. Informal racing _is_ illegal. If you were prosecuted, it would be for the judge (or more likely the magistrate in practice) to decide whether what you were doing constituted a `race' or not.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    What if (god forbid, but it might happen) one of your mates crashed and was say paralysed, couldn't work again, needed constant care, etc.

If you were the uninsured 'organiser' of this little 'event', lets see how much loyalty your 'mate' turned-out to have...
  • andy_wrx wrote:
    What if (god forbid, but it might happen) one of your mates crashed and was say paralysed, couldn't work again, needed constant care, etc.

If you were the uninsured 'organiser' of this little 'event', lets see how much loyalty your 'mate' turned-out to have...

Then you would claim volentia non fit injuria. But I, at least, wouldn't want to end up in that situation.
  • Rouge Penguin
    Rouge Penguin Posts: 347
    You'd have to consider that as a race between two 'offices', he could try and take either or both companies to court if it went tits.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    If it is a Race then it must be authorised. If not a race then you could be done for 'furious riding'. This is actualy illegal. I don't think it happens much but most chain gangs would be liable at some time.
    Public liability insurance is a bigger problem as you would be a long way into the grey areas.