Tuning Shimano M485 hydraulic brakes

aba2005
aba2005 Posts: 487
edited January 2008 in MTB beginners
I know this is probably a dumb question to the experts on here but does anyone know how to get more bite out of these hydraulic brakes? My rear brakes don't have much bite at the moment but as these are my first hydraulic brakes i don't know how to sort it.
"You can plan for the life you're supposed to have, but when you try to make plans, God is known to laugh"
Talib Kweli - Broken Glass [The Beautiful Struggle]

Comments

• ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    First off, check you have no fluid leaks (Shimano use mineral oil). See if the pads and disc are contaminated, replace pads and clean the disc as required. Also if the lever feels spongy then it may need bleeding to remove air, a relatively simple process, tho' it may be best to let the bike shop have a look.
    Hope that helps.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • aba2005
    aba2005 Posts: 487
    Thanks, i reckon it needs bleeding since the lever feels spongy. I'll take it to my LBS on saturday. At least the front one is ok. Bike is new so pads and disks should be fine.

whats the process for bleeding the brakes?
    "You can plan for the life you're supposed to have, but when you try to make plans, God is known to laugh"
    Talib Kweli - Broken Glass [The Beautiful Struggle]
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Shimano are fairly straight-forward to bleed. This sould solve your problem. There is more pipe to the back brake, so the rear may feel a tad more spongey - and its rare two brakes are set up identical.