63 Speed Bike!!! Anti-Singlespeed?

Planet_x111
Planet_x111 Posts: 259
edited January 2008 in XC and Enduro
I was running a search on Google for bike parts, maintenance etc and came across a guy who made a 63 speed bike!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
Didn't really know if this was the right forum but as I'm making a single speed full suss bike up I thought I'd throw it in this forum.
Sort of an anti-singlespeed???

I took this off the site:
The O.T.B. currently sports a Sturmey-Archer AW 3-speed hub, with 7 sprockets, driven by 3 chainwheels: 3 x 7 x 3 = 63. When people hear that I have built a 63-speed bicycle, the first question they ask is "do you really need all those gears?"
The answer, of course, is "no.", but I don't actually need all the gears on a ten speed either. In fact, most of my riding is done on one-speed (fixed-gear) bikes. Nobody needs 63 gears, but it was an interesting and amusing mechanical challenge to put it together, and it does give a very wide range, with close spacing between ratios. There are proabably gears that this bike has never actually been ridden in!

Actually, I guess I was just ahead of my time, because a similar setup is now offered by Sachs, a 3-speed hub which is designed to take a 7-sprocket cassette. Nevertheless, as far as I know, I am the first to succed in getting 7-sprockets to work on a Sturmey-Archer hub!

Anyone else seen any other mad stuff out there?

Comments

• benneally
    benneally Posts: 973
    wow try that with a rholoff (sp?) 14 speed hub and a 9 spd cassette. Thats 3 x 9 x 14 = 378! :S
  • Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    what about a gear box up front and then the cassette and gear hub. the possibilites are endless
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    oh wow go on someone get onto that :D
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    My Hurricane Recumbent has 42

Sachs 3x7 rear with double chain ring (52 and 64) at font.

However the greatest I have seen in a production bike is the Greenspeed recumbent who have a Sachs 3x9 at the rear and a front triple giving 81 speeds giving 13 - 125 inches.

THe question arises as to where to stop........

Add a Schlumpf bottom bracket and you could have 162 gears, ar add an intermediate Rohlloff and you could give this bike a total of 1134 gears

A final option would be mechanically possible.........:
    3x9 rear
    Triple chainset
    Schlumpf dual drive
    Intermediate Rohloff.......

2268 gears!

What is the maximum, and where does it become silly?
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    when does it become silly???

anything after 8...
    i ride a hardtail
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    ha ha. for most use i think a singlespeed is fine. especially for stuff like commuting and a fair amount of mountain biking

next time i do the forest of dean Fodca trail i'm gonna try and do it in one gear. the rooty uphill will be a right challenge but i'm gonna give it a go

anyone know what gear ratio the wierdo mtbers use for their singlespeeds?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    usually 32:16 to start with, I'm finding 36:16 a bit much for the mud and will go back to either a 17 or 18.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Cunobelin wrote:
    My Hurricane Recumbent has 42

Sachs 3x7 rear with double chain ring (52 and 64) at font.

However the greatest I have seen in a production bike is the Greenspeed recumbent who have a Sachs 3x9 at the rear and a front triple giving 81 speeds giving 13 - 125 inches.

THe question arises as to where to stop........

Add a Schlumpf bottom bracket and you could have 162 gears, ar add an intermediate Rohlloff and you could give this bike a total of 1134 gears

A final option would be mechanically possible.........:
    3x9 rear
    Triple chainset
    Schlumpf dual drive
    Intermediate Rohloff.......

2268 gears!

What is the maximum, and where does it become silly?

I would love to see one of those, thats completely insane!!!!! :D:D:D
  • ha ha. for most use i think a singlespeed is fine. especially for stuff like commuting and a fair amount of mountain biking

next time i do the forest of dean Fodca trail i'm gonna try and do it in one gear. the rooty uphill will be a right challenge but i'm gonna give it a go

anyone know what gear ratio the wierdo mtbers use for their singlespeeds?

I'm going to be running a 38;16 when I get my single speed full suss finally built up this week.But as for ratios usually a 2:1 is recommended as a start point as said above, 32:16, 34:17 etc.

• anyone know what gear ratio the wierdo mtbers use for their singlespeeds?

For winter mud and hilly stuff you might be better with 32:18. 16 is better on hardpacked summer trails (or maybe I'm just a wimp).