Is this a good starter bike?

Colin_m
Colin_m Posts: 11
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
I am going to start cycling, is this a good bike to start with, would i be allowed to race on this bike?

Thanks

Colin

Comments

• Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Give us a clue then, what bike ?

:D
  • Colin_m
    oh sorry forgot to post the link lol

http://www.falconcycles.co.uk/CORP/cb/sanremo.html
  • fizz
    fizz Posts: 483
    How much, can't see a price.

14 speed sora is I think quite old stock I would have thought. I havent seen a 7 speed rear casette for sale in the shops for a very long time.
  • Colin_m
    that ones £300, what bike would anyone suggest for around £300-£400?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    fizz wrote:
    How much, can't see a price.

14 speed sora is I think quite old stock I would have thought. I havent seen a 7 speed rear casette for sale in the shops for a very long time.

Aye Sora has even progressed past 8 speed now to 9 speed.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • fizz
    Something like this, would make for a good starter bike. Have a read through the forum theres plenty of threads with better advice than I can give.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360031634&N=Giant%20SCR%203

Dont forget to factor stuff like pedals and shoes in or at least consider upgrading to clipless later on, also I've heard that the wheels on this model giant are'nt the best, but they'll be more than adequate if you are starting out.
  • Mog Uk
    Colin_m wrote:
    that ones £300, what bike would anyone suggest for around £300-£400?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360031634&n=Giant%20Giant%20SCR%203

Plenty of peeps on here riding these.....
  • Colin_m
    thanks fizz
  • Mog Uk
    lol, great minds think alike and all that........
  • Colin_m
    thanks mog, a think a might go for that one, can get it for £315
  • Mog Uk
    Have you got a local bike shop that has them in? Ideally you would want to sit on one and get a feel for it and the correct size....
  • fizz
    is there a bike shop near to you. Its quite good sometimes to have a wander round and see what they have, have a sit on a few bikes and see what you like and don't like.

Also its good to be able to take it back and talk to a human being if you have a problem to.
  • Colin_m
    Yep, Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op have it for £350
  • fizz
    Colin_m wrote:
    Yep, Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op have it for £350

I'd pop in there and have a look at it in the flesh and make sure you get the right size frame, You'll want to get the seat height and bars set right to, so that its the most comfortable it can be for you to ride.
  • Colin_m
    can you race this bike?
  • Mog Uk
    Fizz - you're freaking me out now, keep typing the same as me at the same time :o
  • Mog Uk
    Colin_m wrote:
    can you race this bike?

Colin, what kind of racing have you got in mind ?
  • fizz
    Mog Uk wrote:
    Fizz - you're freaking me out now, keep typing the same as me at the same time :o

:D
  • Colin_m
    i dont know really, i would join my local club and race with them. Can a club direct you to national level if your good enough?
  • fizz
    Colin have you done any cycling before, If not I wouldnt worry to much about wanting to race just yet...

I'd just get out and enjoy the cycling, try and get some base level of fitness into you and your legs. Join a local club if you wish and then start asking around, the people in the club wil lhave a good idea of what training you should be doing etc etc.

I'm nowwhere near it but to get up to the level you are talking about is going to I would think take some serious effort and comitment.

As for the bike you are looking at you'll be fine on the club runs with it as to a higher level I dont have any first hand knowledge but I dont see why not. Remember its not about the bike, its about you.
  • Colin_m
    thanks for the great help fizz :wink:
  • sloxam
    sloxam Posts: 861
    what about this http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=61187
    carbon fork, compact 9 speed tiagra
    i hate hills (cos i'm fat)

www.justgiving.com/steven-loxam/
  • Colin_m
    is that one better than the giant SCR 3?
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    Everyone gets something cheap for their first bike and quite rightly as you want to check you like the sport. However after a year you will be reading the magazines and decide you want something carbon, light and very shiny. The trouble is what do you do with the first bike that still has loads of life left in it. My thoughts are that a first bike should be able to have mudguards and maybe a rack. Then when you go out and buy a De Rosa you can use that first bike as a winter bike.
  • colin_M , it doesn't really matter at the moment if one of those bikes is better than the other. What you've got to remember is the bike you are lookin for at the mo is an entry level bike. In a year or so then start worrying about carbon frames , shimano or campag(this is a debate in itself) sidi or specialized.The list goes on and gets more expensive, the Giant scr is a very good entry level bike and you'll have no probs riding it on a club run.ENJOY !!!!
    dsc00020qd8.th.jpg
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Get thee to th'ebay. Buy a NICE barely used 700-800 quid road bike for not much more than half original price at this time of year (credit card bills coming etc and folk realising that they are NEVER going to keep LAST years resolutions to get fit!).
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."